Chapter Eight: Back in the Tunnel

The sun hits it's the highest peak allowing the light to spread through the streets, heating the paths that people walk upon, while the singing of the birds that fly and soar through the sky fill the streets with their calm and relaxing music. A small, warm wind dances through the trees and bushes allowing them to move and rustle. People walk up and down the paths and allies with their phones by their ears unaware of the beautiful scenery that lays in front of them, while the cars drive by blasting their music. The day seems long; longer than normal, like time has slowed down.

As I walk down the cobbled, stoned path on my way to the hospital to see Miss Crossword, my mind unfocused on anything around me, instead, I'm focusing on the events that have occurred through the past few weeks, I try to piece everything together, but the only thing missing is who? And why? These are the only questions that need answers and I am hoping Miss Croward can help.

The hospital is bare, hardly any cars and people around, the reception is practically empty, the only people in the long, narrow corridors are doctors and nurses who stand to chat about their day. Miss Croward's room is on the 9th floor, she has her little room, which is filled with books, a TV and a small little armchair, which is perfect for us to talk. As I make my way up a sense of dread and anxiety falls upon me, my breath becomes deeper and heavy while goosebumps form along my arms causing my hairs to stand, I feel like I am being watched, I try to shake it off but it won't go making the journey to her room nerve-racking.

I finally reach Miss Crowards room, just as I am about to knock faint voices emerge from behind the door, it sounds like arguing but I can't make out what they are saying. I press my small ear against the cold, wooden door to see if I can hear anything, however, all the words are muffled, the only thing I can gather is she is speaking to another woman. I move closer to the door but as I do my bag dropped from my shoulder banging the door, alerting them to my presence. The room goes silent.

"Come in" Miss Croward shouts.

The atmosphere is tense as I enter the room, Miss Croward led up in her bed smiling at me, while Miss Marshall stands near the window with an unimpressed look on her face.

"Sorry have I interrupted something? I can come back later?" I speak with a nervous tone.

"Oh no, its fine Miss Marshall was just leaving" Miss Croward responds while giving an uneasy glare at Miss Marshall.

"Yes, feel better soon Miss Croward and don't forget our little conversation, and nice to see you, Melody!" Miss Marshall in an annoyed mood, leaves the room closing the door behind her as she does.

"What can I do for you, Melody?" Miss Croward asks,

"I just came to check up on you! Sorry, may I ask what all that was about?" I respond as I turn to Miss Croward.

"Oh that was nothing, just stuff about the studio" Miss Croward turns her head down to the bedsheets like she is trying to avoid eye contact, "So, what have you been up to?".

"Just research, actually I was wondering if you remembered anything from the other night?",

Miss Croward turns to look at me, her eyes full of fear and sadness, I knew I have hit a nerve.

"No, I'm sorry" She mutters back before breaking eye contact again. Silence falls in the room making it atmosphere uncomfortable.

"Melody?" Miss Crowards speaks as she grabs my hand pulling me closer, "Promise me you will be careful. I know what you are like and I know you will do anything to find out the truth! But things are getting dangerous, I don't want you involved any more, please promise me you will leave all this alone!."

Melody Hope Mystery: A Studio Secret जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें