Discovery

Discovery

"Who really are you guys?" Mia asked with a look of confusion, "I mean, you look PMC, with all the gear and... well... the tank."

Jackson crushed the cig between his fingers, letting the ashes fall behind the speeding tank. "I can't tell you who we are," Jackson turned to her, "All I will say is that I'm on your side."

Mia was about to ask another before Wyvern's voice sounded from inside the tank. "Jackson. You better come inside," Wyvern called, "the area ahead is saturated in heavy levels of radiation and we cannot go around." Mia leaped into the seat beside Kasumi as Jackson closed the hatch. A hiss emitted from the hatch as Wyvern pressed a switch on her controls.

"A vacuum seal?" Jackson asked as he took his seat.

"Yep," Wyvern answered, "we also have heavy radiation shielding and just in case a couple of military-grade radiation suits and masks." Jackson nodded as he peered through his monitor. "We're entering the rad zone now," Wyvern announced over their headsets minutes later. A dark fog quickly engulfed the tank as a Geiger counter read the levels outside.

"200 rotegens and rising," Kasumi reported from her station. A couple of minutes later, she reported again, "it stabilized at 400 rotegens. We won't find anybody without a suit out here."

"How large is this radiation hotspot? I thought radiation levels died down in the last twenty years," Jackson asked.

Wyvern pulled out a map and marked a large circle in the middle of it, "This zone spans the entirety of eastern Indiana and the entirety of Ohio and Kentucky." She then drew an arrow pointing south, "We can spend minimal time in this zone if we cut south through Kentucky and enter the relatively safe area in Tennessee. This will take an entire day. Miss President can tell you about the rads."

Jackson looked towards Mia. "Well...the government only organized again only 5 years ago. My father is on his second term and has only authorized clean-up efforts in areas around D.C and New England."

"Why's that? A reorganized government should able to accomplish more than that." Jackson questioned.

Mia looked down, "Well the government isn't fully organized to say..." Jackson raised an eyebrow. "Down south, centered around Louisiana and Texas is a splinter of the government. They call themselves the New Americans."

"This can't be good" Jackson murmured.

"You're right. They believe that America was reborn from the ruins of atomic ash and they're the last remnants of American Democracy," Mia said with air quotes," And they also believe the current government is a bunch of commies and Russian puppets."

"That can only lead to conflict," Kasumi snickered.

"It does,' Mia answered, "Border skirmishes, rocket strikes, and sabotage are rife between the two. I surprised this hasn't escalated yet."

Jackson was about to say something until Wyvern tapped his foot, "12 o'clock. We got some vehicles." Jackson stared through his monitor and sure enough, a convoy of vehicles was in front of him with no signs of life.

"I see a Bradley, three humvees, and an MRAP. No movement." Kasumi reported.

"Everyone. Suit up in rad gear and be alert," Jackson commanded, "Me and Kasumi will investigate the area and Wyvern will man the gun.".

"What about me?" Asked Mia as Kasumi helped her with her suit.

"Stay in here with Wyvern. You'll be safe." Jackson said as he secured on a gas mask. Suiting up Jackson grabbed his SCAR-H and checked Kasumi's suit as Kasumi did the same for him.