Back out there

Town of Meridian

January 20, 2039

"Do we really have to leave?" Wyvern asked. Jackson sighed at his companion's question. "I mean its nice here," she continued.

"That's the thing. It's already stable here, so we have to move on to another settlement." Jackson explained. The two stood in their room going over their next destination. "Anyways, I say we head down towards the Chicago metropolitan area and try to help people."

Wyvern shook her head, "That city got worse of the nuclear attacks. Even after all these years, the radiation hasn't died down yet."

"Okay, Chicago is out of the picture. How bout we start heading towards the east coast?" Jackson proposed.

Wyvern put a finger to her chin, "That sounds good, but we're going to need more supplies."

"We can just grab some on the way. We also still have plenty still inside the tank." , Wyvern nodded. "Good, it's settled then. Let's get going." Jackson and Wyvern left their room and walked out of the inn.

"Thank you for staying!" the innkeeper said after them. The two of them walked through the street until they reached were their Abrams was parked. Getting closer to it they saw a child playing on top of it with her mother watching.

"Mommy! Mommy! Look at me I'm on top of the boom boom car!" the child yelled from the top of the tank. The two of them watched the child jump, run, and play on top of their tank. The two walked to their tank and the mother seeing the two of them took her child off the tank.

"Sorry about my child," the mother said holding onto her child.

"No. It's completely fine. Take care," Wyvern said, "take care." The mother and child left, and soon after Jackson and Wyvern entered their tank. Wyvern started the tanks engine and Jackson enter his command seat.

"Leaving already?" Jackson looked behind and saw Oliver and Laura are standing by the tank.

Jackson nodded his head, "Yep, we're trying to head east."

"East? why the east," Laura questioned.

Wyvern popped her head out of the driver hatch, "Personal reasons."

"Ahh. Ok. Well, we came to see you off," Oliver said, "good luck you two."

"Thanks for that," Jackson said. Jackson slammed the top of the tank, "Wyvern! Let's get this show on the road." Wyvern waved goodbye to the two leaders and the waved too. The tank rumbled over to the gate and it opened immediately for them. As the Abram left the gate, cheers rose from behind and looking around they saw a crowd of people, Oliver and Laura stood in front, cheering and waving them goodbye. Jackson waved back and then they were off.

Hours later...

The tank rumbled down a highway, crushing wrecked and abandoned cars in their wake. Jackson, looking from his command hatch saw a green sign above the road reading, Indiana 10 miles. Jackson ducked back inside, "Wyvern, 10 miles till the next state!"

"Roger," Wyvern replied through their comms, "by any chance you have anything to eat?"

"Sometimes I forget your as much human as your machine," he said handing her a granola bar.

"What's that post to mean!? I'm just hungry!" Wyvern pouted and Jackson kept his eyes on the road. Looking in front of himself Jackson notices something odd up ahead. Something was blocking the road ahead of them and it doesn't look like cars. A couple of hundred meters ahead of a scrap metal wall stood in front of them and armed men stood on top.