Wait? What?

????

????

"My name is Wyvern. Are you my handler by any chance?"

"Wait...what...how," Jackson sputtered. Jackson was bamboozled by the appearance of a teenage girl coming out of his metal locker and was even more confused by how she got there. It was locked from the outside. "Who are you?"

"Good question!," she clasped her hands, "My name is Wyvern, serial number 261, bi-product of Project Exodus. Good to meet ya." she extended her hand towards him. Wearly looking at it, he took it and she pulled him up. She looked 17 or 18 and was wearing a black and orange jacket on top of a white shirt and wore a pair of forest camo khakis. Another tingling sensation pulsed through his hand again like the scanner. "Authorization complete, welcome, Jackson Trox, to Project Exodus," she said in a monotone robotic voice unlike the energetic and 'normal' voice she had earlier. "This is a pre-recorded message from Dr. Andrews ." Her voice then changed again, now to the voice of the old man from the video.

"Hello there, Mr. Trox, if your listening to this you have awoken from cryosleep and have found your AI companion, Wyvern. You must be very confused about why a teenage girl emerged from your locker and what you're doing here." He hit it right on the dot. "First things first that 'girl'," he said with air quotes," is an AI designed by the US Army to rebuild society. However Wyvern here is quite special, she's a synthetic human, the only one ever made. But enough about that, I'm directing this message to you through Wyvern because well, you're the last operator we have. Every single person we sent out was claimed by the wastes and you Mr. Trox is the United States's last hope. This will be no means an easy task but since your the last one, we in the project are going to make sure you succeed. If you go up to the next level you will find what you need. Good luck and goodbye." The voice recording stopped and Jackson was silent.

"Wyvern?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Take me upstairs."

"Right this way sir," Wyvern led the way to an elevator shaft and pressed up. A couple seconds later a ring sounded and the doors opened. Stepping inside she pressed the button that said Armory. The Jackson stood awkwardly in the elevator fidgeting and looking around sporadically. The silence was overbearing and he was alone in an elevator with a robot or a synthetic whatever Dr. Andrew called her.

"So Wyvern, what are you exactly. I know you're what they call a "Synthetic Human", but what is that specifically? No to be rude or anything," Jackson questions trying to break the silence

"Not at all, I was created using synthetic organs, skin, and etc. etc. etc. So I am pretty much a human like you, but I have a computer for a brain. I can react, learn, and think faster than any human, while still having a personality, morality, and feelings," Wyvern informs him, "Dr. Andrew create me like this so I can live among the survivors and operate on my own if my handler was killed."

"But why the name Wyvern?" Jackson asked confused by the odd name choice.

"Well, the doctor thought since I was going to be made specifically for you he should name me after your nickname or your tank. Take your pick," Wyvern explained.

"I thought your name seemed kind of odd."

"What! You don't like it!?" Wyvern cried and her eyes started to water.

Jackson took a step back not expecting this reaction, "W-what? Calm down! I didn't mean it like that please don't cry." Not knowing what to do, he put his hand on her head and started patting.

"Hmmmmm!" Wyvern purred. What the? Thankfully the elevator opened and saved Jackson from whatever was happening in the elevator. Quickly stepping out the elevator Jackson eyed the armory, which was covered in racks of guns, ammo, and equipment. "Umm, sir?" Wyvern said red evident on her cheeks, "Before we gear up, I have to show you what Dr. Andrew left for you." She led him to a separate door across from the elevator. As they got close Jackson could make out the word Garage above the doors. As soon as she opened the doors Jackson saw something that he thought he would never see again. An M1 Abrams, pristine and untouched, laid right in front of him.

"He left me an Abrams!" Jackson exclaimed.

Wyvern chuckled, "Not just any Abrams either. The doctor called this M1A4 Abrams or the Exodus Abram. It may not look any different but it has improved armor, improved radar, smoke launchers, advanced suspension, and a new autoloader system." Jackson climbed on top of it and opened the hatch. Looking inside he saw only 2 crew seats.

"Um, Wyvern? Why is there only two crew seats?

"The new Abrams was cut down to a two man crew. You have the driver still and since it has an autoloader there is really no use for a loader. Also, the commander and gunner were combined. So yes, a two man crew," Wyvern explained.

"Cool. Let's stock up the tank and roll out. I'm already sick of this place." Jackson sighed. He walked back towards the armory and looked through the racks. Jackson decided on an HK-416 with an ACOG, laser sight, and a foregrip, and an M1911. Wyvern chose an SR-25 with 8x Scope and a USP45. "Let's load up the tank Wyvern!"Jackson yelled grabbing a box of MREs.

Hours later Jackson dropped the last box of 5.56 inside the storage area of the Abrams. Taking stock of the vehicle they have packed 5,000 rounds of 5.56, 3,000 rounds of 7.62, 5,000 rounds of .45 ACP, enough rations to last them 3 weeks, 4 gallons of water, and a drum of gasoline. Shutting the storage area Jackson called out to Wyvern, "Tanks loaded, let's get this show on the road!"

"Before we leave I have to give something!" she called back. Wyvern walked to Jackson and handed him an earpiece. "This will allow you to communicate with me wirelessly from up to 2 miles away. Don't lose it."

Jackson chuckled, "You have no faith in me don't cha."

"Just clarifying that with you," she smirked, "alright let's go." Wyvern hopped into the Abrams and slipped into the driver's seat. Jackson soon followed and took his place in the turret. "Running diagnostics. Engine green. 120mm Smoothbore cannon green. Sensors green. Looks like we're ready to go." Wyvern announced. The large hangar-like doors in front of them started to open until pure sunlight poured through.

Popping his head out of the hatch he threw his hand forward, "Driver advance!"

"I have a name you know?"

"Uggh fine. Wyvern advance!" The tank moved forward into the unknown and Jackson's journey through the wasteland has begun.