the day that was 🍵

Plot summary: Y/N's bad day is about to be turned around by a mysterious boy in a school uniform.

Y/N was not having the best day in particular. She had just blown her interview for a prestigious college she was applying for because of her sh*tty nerves. Her mother wasn't pleased at all, and her nagging only made matters even worse. She decided to head out of the house for a while to let off some steam.

The universe must've decided make her even more miserable for the day, as Y/N bumped into her boyfriend walking hand-in-hand with that one lady friend he said she would never have to worry about.

Staring at her like a deer caught in the headlights, Jonas began the famous "I can explain..." excuse as he approached her, but Y/N wasn't having it. She ran away as fast as she could to the only comfort zone she could think of: Griddy's Doughnuts.

Only a few meters away from the donut shop, rain began to pour heavily. This is when Y/N looked up to the heavens and felt the anger boil up inside her.

What did she do to deserve such a horrible day?

Soaking wet from head to toe, she entered Griddy's. Some customers were there and gave her questioning looks. Not like she gave a damn, anyway.

Heading straight for the counter, she plopped down on one of the vacant stools and bowed her head on the counter. Agnes, the senior shop owner and cook, noticed her immediately, and concern washed over her face.

"Goodness, my dear Y/N. What happened to you?" The elder lady inquired, her face contorted with confusion and worry.

Y/N looked up and mustered the best fake smile she could and said in a barely audible tone, "Bad day."

Agnes frowned at her. "Hang in there, I'll get you a towel. Pick whatever donut you want, dear. It's on the house." With that, she scurried to the back.

Y/N smiled to herself. She knew she could always count on Agnes.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed a boy about her age staring at his coffee mug. What caught Y/N's attention was that he ordered a plain black coffee. She looked at him for a few seconds before minding her own business.

Y/N felt at peace for once, but that feeling flew away the moment she heard the doors opening and a familiar voice call out her name.

"Jeez, Y/N. You could've waited for me to explain-"

Y/N held up her index finger and shut her eyes - a simple gesture to make him shut up.

But, Jonas wasn't having it.

"Look, I know what you're thinking, but trust me, nothing's going on between Hannah and I. We were just-"

"I told you to f**king zip it." Y/N muttered loud enough for the both of them to hear. Jonas expression changed immediately. Even Y/N herself was surprised that she had just cursed him out loud.

"Did you just f**king curse at me?" He said, and Y/N tensed up. This was the first time she had uttered a bad word in front of anyone, let alone her own boyfriend. The boy beside her set his mug down, listening intently to the conversation taking place beside him.

"You don't get to talk to me like that, you little b*tch." Jonas said in a dangerously low tone, grabbing her by the arm roughly to pull her close. Y/N yelped in pain and could feel tears prickling her eyes. 

"I don't think you should be touching her like that." A voice suddenly piped up, breaking Jonas' intense glare on Y/N. They both slowly looked around to find the young man sitting coolly on the stool. 

Y/N took this opportunity to study him closely: for starters, he looked like a schoolboy - his hair was neatly done and his uniform seemed perfectly pressed. He also seemed to have polished his black leather shoes to perfection. 

Jonas scoffed and pointed his finger at the boy. "You stay away from this, pretty boy."

The boy took a sip of his coffee and set the mug down harsher than intended. "Sorry, but I don't tolerate harassment."

Y/N looked at him pleadingly, and the schoolboy acknowledged her with a slight nod.

"She is my girlfriend, a**hole. I can do whatever I want with her." Jonas bellowed, calling the other customers' attention. Jonas turned his attention back to Y/N. "Now, come on and we'll talk about this in the car."

As Jonas practically lifted Y/N from her seat, a hand was placed on Jonas' shoulder. Clenching his jaw, Jonas turned around and glared at the boy. He laughed when he realized how short this boy was compared to him.

"Last chance. Let. Her. Go." The schoolboy challenged, emphasizing every word.

"What are you gonna do? Cry to your mommy, you little prick-"

The young lad cut him off by a clean uppercut to the face. Jonas was instantly sent backwards and knocked to the ground. All the customers gasped in horror, a few even left the scene in a rush.

"I'm back with the towels, dear- oh my!" Agnes exclaimed as she witnessed how the young man hovered over Jonas and threw a jab to his stomach. The elderly lady ran straight for Y/N and embraced her with the towels.

Jonas was a groaning mess, and he could feel blood trickling down his lip. The boy leaned down to Jonas height, resting his hands on his own knees. "What's the matter? Going to cry to mommy?"

With wide eyes, Jonas quivered in fear as he hurried out the shop, almost tripping along the way. Y/N was awestruck at what happened. The schoolboy simply fixed his jacket and returned to his stool. He got a napkin and wiped the blood off his knuckles like it was nothing.

Despite Agnes' hesitation, Y/N walked towards the young man. "Hey." She muttered cautiously.

The boy looked up and their eyes met. His once intimidating expression morphed into one of sincerity at once. He gave her a small smile. "You all right?" he asked.

Y/N nodded. "Yeah, I am now. Thanks for saving me back there." The boy shrugged but was still smiling.

"I don't like bullies, so..." he trailed off. Y/N, being the awkward mess she was, fiddled with her fingers as she struggled to find something else to say.

The boy extended his hand for her to take. "I'm Five, by the way."

Y/N looked confused. "What? You're only five years old? And you managed to kick his ass?"

Five laughed. "No, I meant my name is Five. Five Hargreeves."

Y/N facepalmed herself for her stupidity. "Sh*t, sorry. I'm Y/F/N Y/L/N." They shook hands and something churned inside of Y/N.

Five studied her features. "Y/N. I'll remember that."

"Well, it was nice meeting you, Five. I'll see you around." Y/N replied before munching on a jelly donut displayed on one of the donut shelves.

The boy nodded and Y/N turned around. She muttered a 'thank you' to Agnes as she headed for the exit when she was stopped by the same young man.

"You know, it's pouring outside. You might need an umbrella." He said, holding his black umbrella out for her.

Y/N grinned. She paused for a while as Five stood there in front of her. "Does the umbrella come with a friend?"

Five blinked a couple of times, and gave her a toothy smile. "It does, if you want it to."

Y/N pushed back her tears as she replied, "I could really use one right now." Five noticed her distress, and he felt pity for the young girl. Opening his umbrella, Five acted like a gentleman and opened the doors for her, an arm draped around her shoulder as they walked through the pouring rain - a drastic change from the barbaric actions he had just done inside Griddy's.

"I know some people who could turn that frown upside down." Five remarked, and Y/N smiled, gratitude written all over her face. 

Y/N left Griddy's that day with an exhausted mind and a broken heart, but with a newfound source of inspiration.