Chapter 2: The Mysterious Person

The shelter we found is none other than the underground basement in one of the buildings. This is something we found at the edge of Forest Hill. Usually, when I was in the present — or should I say, past to Silver? — it's filled with a grassy, green and lush environment with a few platforms floating above this place, noticeably the trees. Now, it's filled with a lot of smoky fog, but it's never seen with a naked eye. You can only feel the cloudy and smoky atmosphere by somehow inhaling the aerial environment. I don't want to suffocate myself to death.

That's why we chose this. Above the surface is a building already in ruins. Not just because it's an obvious thing since we're in the future, but I also feel like it's burned into ashes a long, long, long, long, LONG time ago. And that time might be around 222 years earlier.

This basement contains emergency food, lots of research we wished to check out, but are all dusty, wrinkly, decayed and old and I don't even have to inhale the polluted atmosphere.

Smiles appear on my faces when we discovered that there are even a few beds here in this basement. Plus, a box of matchsticks and an old lantern are also available here. I like this place because it contains a few elements of survival.

One day, when I'm asleep in the middle of the night, I barely hear a whisper. At first, I don't mind and continue to sleep, but when I hear my name, I keep turning and tossing my body over.

"Aleyah."

Choices of struggle occur in me. I try to ignore the whispers ringing in my ear, but something is pulling me to make me hear it over and over again.

"Aleyah."

There it goes again. I pull out my pillow where I'm currently laying my head on. Then, I reach the front sides in my ears to prevent myself from hearing it. Hearing my name again and again is frustrating. But still...

"Aleyah."

This time, I've had enough of this struggle. I flutter my eyes open and rise into a sitting position. All I can see is a black blur. I try seeking in closer to take a better look, but I never have any details. I pull out the clean handkerchief from under the pillow and start rubbing my eyes with it.

Once my teary and misty vision turns into a clear one, I finally get a chance to look at the details of the black blur. He's wearing a black cloak and hood with orange gloves like I'm wearing. There's no other detail I manage to get.

As I see the features of a stranger, I back off from him a little bit.

"Who are you?" I ask her in a low voice.

"You have no right to know what's under my hood."

I'm sorry. That stranger is a girl? With a deep raspy voice? I then, raise my eyebrow in confusion, but in a split second, my face changes into a determined and tough one.

"Why are you here? How dare you barge in here?" I ask her again.

"I'm here to tell you something really important."

"What's that?"

"You'll find out sooner or later. But here's a hint. It's something about... your parents."

"My parents. What happened to them? Who are you?"

An evil cackle escapes her mouth. Still no facial appearance is seen. It's rather under the hood. "You'll find out." Then, she starts to slowly become transparent. I reach out my hand in her direction.

"Wait. I want to know," I say to her.

But it's too late. She already disappeared in the mist.

That leaves me. Sitting on my bed. Curiosity takes over me as I wonder something about a mysterious person. With a deep raspy voice.

Then, a few moments later, I feel a hand on my left shoulder. I'm quite certain it's Silver since he's the only one here apart from me. "Don't worry, Leyah. We'll figure this out together. Why don't we have a quick visit to Blaze in her dimension to keep your mind off things?"

Going to Blaze's house brings me into one question. "How are we going to get there?"

Then, a familiar female voice interrupts Silver's answer, "Don't worry. I already found a way."