Prologue

The car moved through the steep mountain road upwards. It was daytime. I sat on the back seat of the car looking through the photos on my mobile. Dad smiled so happily in each one of the photos. I felt the tight clench in my heart again at the sight of his smile. I felt like crying again. I clutched the teddy bear he once gifted me when I was a child tight in my hand. And looked down to the floor of the car.

Keerthi didi looked back at me from the front seat.

"Are you okay, Gauri?" She asked me.

I nodded, hiding my tears. I did not want to act weak. When everyone was suffering the same. I was not going to be the weak link. "Are we there yet?" I asked looking up and using my horse raspy voice.

"Wow, you sound so much like a boy." Keerthi didi said and looked at Khanna uncle who was driving. "Doesn't she?"

"Yeah." He said. "She does."

I felt proud. I wanted to give them assurance that I could do this. Pretend to be a boy. I am going to be fine. Yeah, I needed to pretend that I am a boy.

"We are almost there, Gauri." Keerthi didi said.

I nod. "It's Jai, though. Right?" I asked. "You should call me by 'Jai'. I am not Gauri anymore."

She gave me a really proud smile that was lingered with feelings of 'you are holding up so well' kind of look. I smiled. I looked down at the photo on my mobile again. Dad and I smiling. We had been on vacation in Malaysia. And we were smiling standing on the beach. Dad was wearing a shirt with blue flower prints. I remember telling him how ridiculous he looked. He laughed it off. He said he looked alright. And that time he had got mad at some boys for checking me out in my bikini. I was just 13 yet. And that was the first time dad realized that his baby girl was growing up, making boys check her out. I assured dad that I won't be hanging out with any guy without his permission and approval.

What would he say if he knew I was going to live in a boys' dorm now?? With guys all around me???

But then he can't say anything or know anything about it. He is dead.

I kept in a sob that came to me at the thought of that. Dad is dead.

I still could not believe it. It still felt like all this was some kind of joke or a nightmare. It felt like he will still come back and run to me and lift me up in his arms. And I could say 'dad, you can never leave me again like that' and he will nod and agree to that. But no...dad died. I saw his dead body. I saw his lifeless face that just lay there....

I wiped my eyes.

The car drove into an enormous gate and in through the grounds of what kind of looked like a castle. There were trees and shrubs and bushes. And then there was an enormous school building. The building did look like a castle. It was made out of rock bricks. It looked like a chapel or something. Well, the school did belong to Christian management.

I got out of the car.

"Gauri, you might want to keep the teddy bear back in the car." Keerthi didi said.

I looked down at my hand and realized that I was still clutching the teddy bear. It was a gift from my dad. It felt like it gave me strength. Like dad was still near me or something. I didn't want to put it away. It did feel like someone was taking dad away from me all over again. I reluctantly put the teddy bear back into the back seat of the car.

"I will keep it safe for you dear." Keerti didi assured me. I nodded at her. "And I am here if you need anything at all. Always." She said. I nodded again.