Chapter 15

I was bleeding. I was bleeding very badly. It hurt and it felt like my shoulder was on fire. The ambulance I was on was moving very fast. And I could barely keep my eyes open. I was panting for life. Maybe I am about to die.

"Gauri..." I could hear someone's voice. "Gauri... can you hear me?"

It was Keerthi didi's voice. I forced myself to stay awake. I opened my eyes. I wanted to know how come she was there. And if she was there, did that mean that things are okay now. Am I not going to die? But then...I was shot. With a bullet. I was freaking shot with a bullet. How is that I am going to be okay...? Everything just hurt.

"Gauri... Gauri, Listen to me," Keerthi didi said. "You are going to be okay. We are taking you to a hospital."

I nodded. Someone who looked like a paramedic came to me and flashed a light in my eyes. "Can you tell me how many fingers I am holding?" He held up some fingers. I could not see clearly. "Four...." I said.

"It's two," he said. "Do you remember your name?" he asked me.

"Jai..." I said.

"That's an acceptable answer." Keerthi didi seemed to be saying.

"Do you remember what happened?" The paramedic asked me.

The last few hours had been a blur. I tried to remember.

It was Happy's birthday. 31st December. So we were going to celebrate Happy's birthday along with the New Year's party. We had all gathered in the cafeteria after the classes. But there were no candles to put on the cake. I remember telling Varun that I will run to the store down the town and buy the candles. I had walked out alone.

What time was it now? It seemed like a lot of time had passed. "What time is it?" I managed to ask.

"It's 7," Keerthi didi said.

I had left the party at about 4 pm. When was I shot?? Was I unconscious all this while??? How much did I bleed out?? I am going to die, am not I? 

Happy was jumping around in a dance, with a cone hat. I looked at Varun.

"Did you see Jai?" I asked.

"Nope. The last I saw him was when he left to buy the candles." Varun said to me. "He must be back by now. He probably will be hanging out with some junior girls or something."

I hope so. He usually does that lately.

"We should cut the cake," Dhruv said. "We got the candles now anyway."

"Where did you get it from?" I asked.

"From some class 9 students. They had some left from someone's birthday party. So let's just cut the cake."

"But Jai..." I said.

"Try calling him. I will call Happy. Let's cut the cake. EVERYONE," Dhruv called out. "Cake cutting time."

I took my phone to call Jai. The ring went on but no one was picking up. Odd... She would not ignore my call. She knows that I will get worried. But people were crowding around a table now to cut the cake. I joined with others. Ayisha joined me. She lightly took my hand. "What's wrong?" She asked. "You look tensed."

"We can't find Jai," I told her. "And he is not picking up his phone either."

"He will be fine." She squeezed my hand. "Jai is a big boy. What will happen to him? Maybe he went back to hostel..."