Chapter 8

"I hate exams," I said as I stuffed my bag with the textbooks. "I hate hate hate exams." I grunted with each 'hate'.

"There is no one in this world who will love exams." Jai said, leaning to the table "Everybody hates exams."

"Well, not as much as I hate exams," I said. They came as a reminder of everything my parents expect from me. And the marks determine what type of lecture I was to expect from them. Exams mean dealing with parents. That is the only time they show any interest in me. It makes me feel sick.

"Funny how you perform so well despite hating exams," Jai smirked.

"It's not like I want to get so good marks," I said flinging the bag over my shoulder. Jai shook his head with a smile and turned to his bag and tried to stuff his big IITJEE guide in the bag. It did not fit. So he took out his brown notebook. And the old photo of his girl image fell to the floor. I went and picked it up. The sight of it still fascinates me.

"Don't you miss it though?" I asked Jai.

"Miss what?" he asked.

"The old you?" I asked handing him the photo back. He stuffed it into the notebook.

"Kind of." He said. 

It would be a lie if I say I did not miss being me – Gauri. I was okay with being Jai. I liked Jai. I was comfortable as Jai. But I did miss my old self sometimes. I missed everything of the past. I missed daddy. I missed Pooja and Mehek, my best friends from my old school. I missed my house. It would be a lie if I am to say that I did not miss anything.

I saw Veer looking at me.

I gave him a smile. "Let's go. Or we're gonna be late for the exams." I told him. 

We walked out. When we reached the classroom, students were crowded around studying in groups. We moved to our guys. Happy was making cheat sheets. I jumped at the opportunity. "Cool," I growled at him. "One for me as well."

"No. No... there are no copies." Happy said.

"But you are sharing with me, right?" I asked. I turned to Veer, "You will show me your answer sheet, right?"

"If it's safe." He said. That's enough. He hit my head with the book. "Don't get caught."

I won't. And I did study a bit this time. Just that Organic Chemistry always makes me want to puke. And hanging out with guys have its own benefits. Guys are more flexible than girls about cheating in exams.

Proving my point Anjali of our class looked over at us and said, "Guys, cheating your way in exams is not going to get you anywhere. I mean, later in your life, the cheat sheets are not going to get you anywhere."

"Oh shut up Anjali," Happy said to her. "I have never seen any adult make use of organic chemistry in their daily life ever. So there is no use in studying this crap anyway."

I laughed out loud. He was right. I don't see the need of studying organic chemistry either. I was going to manage my dad's, I mean, my company in the future if everything goes well. I can understand the need for maths in my life, as I might need maths to manage a few accounts. But then yeah... I don't see why I will ever need to learn organic chemistry.

Indian study system sucks. If only they teach me stuff that will help me in school. Stuff like how to deal with an evil uncle who wants to kill you. Stuff like law or how to fight back.