Chapter 2

I dribbled the basketball as we were talking. Jai was jumping from one side to another in front of me, trying to snatch the ball from me. He was never good at sports. So I did not even need to try hard.

"There she is. Fully in your view. Now go over to her... and ask her out for a movie or something."Jai said.

I looked back. Ayisha and her friends were sitting under a tree chatting. She looked so beautiful just sitting there. I felt nervous just by looking at her.

"It's going to be easy. You are going to do great, bro." Jai said jumping left and right again. And then he took the ball from me. He looked surprised at himself for getting the ball. He beamed and tried to score a basket. The ball totally misse3d the hoop and fell down. "Hm..." with a frown was all Jai's reaction. I went and retrieved the ball.

"What makes you think that Ayisha will agree if I ask her out?" I asked Jai.

He made a face of 'you are making no sense'. "You are Veer Malik." He told me.

"So?" I asked. He makes it sound as if that makes some sort of brand statement.

"Let's stop the game for a second." Said Jai and came closer to me, he flung his hand around my shoulder. "We have about 50 people in general vicinity now. Let's generally assume 25 of them are girls. Do you know how many of them are checking you out?" He asked me with a raised eyebrow and a smartass look.

I looked around.

"Don't look, dude..." Jai pulled me down with his hand around my neck. "You are making it seem so obvious. I will tell you..." He looked over his shoulder. "3 O' Clock direction..." I looked around. "That's 9 O' Clock, dude..." He hissed. I looked in the other direction. A junior girl was definitely staring at us with adoring eyes.

"Behind us. Near the tree." Jai said, I turned my eye and look behind and frowned. Some 13-year-olds were giggling looking at us. My eyes met with them, and they broke into giggles.

"That's just disturbing," I hissed to Jai. He grinned.

"Those 11th class girls down by the bleachers," Jai said. I looked at them. They seemed busy talking among themselves. "They were definitely looking over here 5 minutes back," Jai said taking his hand off from my shoulder and standing facing me.

"AND near the faculty building," Jai said. I looked over, without making it obvious. Liya of our class was sitting with her friends and she was definitely stealing looks at us.

I could see all the girls stare at me and Jai. We were still in uniform. But we had removed our coats and ties. The pale blue uniform shirt might be doing its trick. Because once the navy blue coat is removed our uniform are really good. The pale blue shirt goes really well with the beige pants. And right now, I even had a few buttons of my shirt unbuttoned with my chest showing. Jai had his buttons opened all the way down, but he was wearing two layers of white t-shirt inside. And he pulled off this look so damn well.

"How do you know that they are not checking you out?" I asked. I think at least Liya was not checking me out; she was definitely checking Jai out. He does not get it, but I think he looks better than me in a sense. He is like freaking beautiful. Sure he looks like a girl mostly. But some girls dig that flawless skin stuff. Jai looks like the Korean Pop stars my cousin Sara is really really crazy about and have posters all over her bedroom walls.

"It could be you," I told Jai. "And besides..." I looked at Ayisha. "Ayisha is not checking me out." She was just talking to her friends. "I don't even think she knows that I exist." Okay, now this comes out involuntarily. I don't know what's the deal with Jai is. When I am with him I end up saying things that I definitely would not have said out aloud to anyone. He makes me say my thoughts out loud. It's kind of scary. But I guess that is why he is my best friend.