Chapter 13

"Gauri, are you listening to me?" Keerthi didi asked me over the phone. I was sitting alone on a bench on school grounds. Thank god, I was alone. Because I was sure I did not look that good, right now.

"Yeah," I said without still being recovered from the shock. "Can you repeat that please?" I asked. Fear creeping inside me.

"I am so sorry, Gauri. I should have known that he will eventually get to my phone's call record." She said.

"So he knows I am here now?" I asked.

"Well..." She sounded really nervous. "He just knows the general location. And he does not even know for sure you are there yet. Your uncle is just searching the area because one of my frequent in contact persons has mobile reception that originates in that area. I should have been more careful."

Horror washed over me.

"I will be fine," I said. "I mean, I am registered under a different name in this school," I said. "Also I am disguised as a boy. They will be searching for a girl, right?"

"Yeah," Keerthi didi said.

"I will be fine."

"Just be careful, Gauri..." Keerthi didi said in a worried tone. "I will try to fix it up somehow here as well."

I nodded. 

So it was Friday already. I have to go to the date thing with Ayisha on Sunday. I tried to think of a reason to cancel the plan. Maybe I can pretend that I am unwell or sick. Or maybe I should just tell her honestly. I mean, I can go to the movie with her. But I need to tell her that it was not a date. That, if we are going, we are going as just friends. But it was difficult to convince her because I was wandering around making it evident that I have a crush on her.

I was worried over that and was walking in the corridor when Ayisha passed me. She smiled as she passed me. I stopped, "Hey, can I talk to you?" I asked.

"Sure." She said stopping.

Maybe it's better to ease her into it than bluntly say I can't come to the movie with her. I don't even know how to tell her that yet. "Eh... Can we talk over a coffee?" I asked. That was easier. "My treat."

Ayisha nodded. "Let's go to the canteen," I said. She followed me.

We sprinted down the stairs and I walked into the canteen. Loud music hit my ears as soon as I entered the canteen. There was a crowd gathered in the middle of the canteen. The song was a BTS Korean song, a fast one.

"Wow, what's happening?" Ayisha asked beside me. I had no idea. "Let's go find out," I asked interested.

Three tables were arranged side by side in the middle of the canteen that served as a stage. And to my horror, Jai was on this stage. She was dancing. No... I could not say 'she' for Jai at all at that moment. Because HE was more of a boy have I ever seen him before. He had done something to his hair, it stood up in a perfect jelled way, He has left his tie loose and the coat was off. He was wearing his coolest watch in one hand and our boyish wristband in the other. His belt was a really good one. But it was not his clothes and accessories. It was the way he moved and danced. His moves and expression was a total total total boy. He moved from side to side along with the music in perfect moves. HE was cool.

People were whistling and cheering for him. His sneakers collided with the table in perfect rhythm. His every movement was with confidence. And when I looked around, all the girls in the vicinity was almost swooning.