Chapter 9 - It's Cold

The rest of the school day was a blur. What pained AJ even more was the fact that Cherrytune sat right next to her in Literature class.

"Good afternoon, class. We have a new student today!" The teacher said enthusiastically, placing her hand on a certain brunette's shoulder. AJ looked up, eyebrows furrowing. "Say hi to Cherrytune." The girl gave a small wave and a friendly smile to the class, who returned it—AJ being the only exception. She felt her body tense as she eyed the brunette, studying her expression. What i would do to wipe that fake smile off her face.
"I hope I would be welcomed here and be friends with all of you!" She spoke, looking around. The blonde heard the guy behind her murmur compliments about the girl. AJ rolled her eyes. However, she couldn't deny it, Cherry was attractive. Yet, she did not trust her. She told herself it wasn't because of jealousy, the brunette was just suspicious. amogus

"Alright, you may sit next to.."
AJ froze. Her eyes darted to the empty seat next to her. She sat near the front, which was a likely place where the teacher would place a new (and attractive) student in her past experiences. This was not good. She muttered a dammit as the teacher called her name. "Applejack is the lovely blonde seated there," She said as she pointed at a scowling AJ. "She is also new here, you two would get along well!" The teacher said innocently.
Cherry gave AJ a sweet smile as she walked up to the empty seat, dropping her bag on the floor. "Hi there, Applejack right?" She held out a hand. The blonde raised an eyebrow as she eyed Cherry's palm, refusing to shake it. "No shit." The girl laughed nervously, hand still suspended in the air. AJ didn't care if she was treating her like a dick. She was only gonna see her for this one subject anyway. The brunette hesitantly lowered her limb, facing the blonde. "Uhh, well, I hope we get along." She nervously grinned as she looked back at the blackboard.
Applejack felt kind of bad because Cherry seemed like a genuinely kind person, but she wouldn't let her feelings succumb to her actions. Cherry probably deserves Rainbow more than i do. She's kind, friendly, pretty... AJ sighed as she fidgeted with her pen. Nowonder Rainbowdash is in love.

.

For the rest of the lesson, Cherrytune attempted to communicated with Applejack, only to be shunned with dry responses. She finally gave up talking to her altogether after a while, deciding that AJ just wasn't the friendly type.

"Is... is there a reason you don't like me..?" The brunette mumbled, magenta eyes locked on the blackboard. She had her right palm supporting her chin, eyes half lidded. Applejack's eyes widened, surprised by the question. "I.. uh." The blonde looked away with guilt, using her beloved green scarf to cover the bottom half of her face. "No," She finally answered. Cherry had no response, a tense atmosphere following suit. Applejack felt nothing but discomfort. She just prayed for the class to end. As if the bell heard her thoughts, it rang throughout the school. A wave of relief wash over the blonde as a smile returned to her face. Packing up her things, Cherry's gaze fell upon her.

She stood up. "If this is about Rainbowdash, I'm not sorry." Cherry said lifelessly as she left the classroom. 'Huh?' was all Applejack could think of. Whatever, school's over. I just want to go home. The day had been too much for the blonde. Her heart had already been shattered. Her rival was being friendly with her, and for what reason? Her head was a complete mess and she wished to be in the comfort of her own bed, dozed off into a happy little world.

It's cold.

Student's littered the school grounds, slowly dispersing. The laughter and chatter was muffled by the noise in Applejack's head. Afternoon was rather dull, the sun was blocked out by thick snow clouds, shadow casting upon the school.

So cold.

Applejack dug her hands into her jacket as she briskly made her way out of school. She could hear someone yelling her name. She ignored it. Her phone buzzed in her pocket, followed by a custom ringtone. She ignored it. Her voice wavered as she attempted to breathe in and out.

Snow crushed beneath shoes.
The sudden feeling of warmth consumed the blonde. AJ glanced down, finding a second layer of blue clothing on herself. It's warm. Rainbowdash cheekily stood in front of AJ, revealing that she had taken off her hoodie and lent it to the freezing girl. "Hey Blondie, why'd you ignore me?" The blue girl said as she tilted her head. AJ sighed and removed the hoodie, tossing it aside. She resumed walking. Rainbowdash coughed, a surprised expression on her face. "Uhm, you're welcome?" She picked her hoodie up and jogged up to AJ, walking next to her. After a bit of silence, she groaned. "Why aren't you talking?" She waved her hands in the air, clearly frustrated with her friend. Silence was the response. A frown fell upon Rainbowdash's face, replacing her cheeky one from earlier. "Giving me the silent treatment, huh..?" Both girls stopped at a red light. Applejack just stared at the road before them, taking her time to count each stripe of yellow line in her sight. About a dozen cars passed by them. Three black cars... There's a red car... Who the hell would buy a rainbow car? Also there's a grey car with a busted tire.
Rainbowdash finally snapped.
"Okay! Tell me what's going on?"

"You're being annoying," AJ finally responded, still not looking at the girl who rolled her eyes.

"And you're being super grouchy. What happened?" Rainbowdash looked genuinely concerned.
She placed both hands on the blonde's shoulders to make AJ face her. Applejack looked down, avoiding eye contact. She felt her cheeks grow hot as her crush's face was just centimetres away from hers. You're in love with someone else.
The traffic light switched to green. AJ shook free from Rainbowdash's grasp as she started walking across the road, continuing to ignore her. Each step felt even heavier than the last. The distance between them increasing, like mountains and seas were growing between them.
The light turned yellow.
The blonde glanced behind. Rainbowdash was still on the other side of the road, hands fallen helplessly to her side as she looked down. Disappointment was written across the girls face.
The light switched back to red.
Applejack started her lonely walk home. Usually, right here, both Rainbowdash and blonde would be walking side by side, happily chattering away.

"...and then i had to rush my morning routine, i almost forgot to change out of my pajamas!" Rainbowdash said, pointing at her shirt. Applejack burst out laughing. "Nowonder you were late that day, out of all things, why did you yell 'Hey mamas'?" AJ wheezed. "I dunno it was just funn- aaHHH" Rainbowdash fell face flat on the snow covered ground. AJ clutched her stomach as she laughed out loud at her miserable groaning friend. RD had tripped over a rock that was shaped like a heart, kinda. "Fuck you," Rainbowdash mumbled, snow muffling her voice. The blonde simply laughed.

Applejack walked past the same heart-shaped looking rock. She chose to ignore her friend like that and walk alone. She just couldn't look her in the eyes or speak to her. Alone time was what she needed. She felt bad, really. It was as if someone poked a knife at her heart. Her lips quivered. Applejack felt guilty being a total dickhead today. Ugh.
She tilted her head up, snowflakes falling from the sky. It looked so peaceful. Slowly, AJ lay down on the snow, arms and legs spread out. Her limbs were numb from the cold, but it didn't matter. Emotions overwhelmed her physical capability. Applejack took slow and deep breaths. At that moment, it felt like she was the only person in the world, like she was taken to a faraway land, it felt like a dream. Winter is beautiful. But it's too cold. The sky was a dark shade of grey. Snow clouds hovered above. She wondered how it would be like to be above the clouds, away from the ground. She wondered how it would be like to be a snowflake, the only think she would have to worry about was floating gently to the ground. Some rays of sunlight managed to pierce through the clouds. They made the falling snowflakes look like diamonds, shiny and sparkling. It almost looked like there was a rainbow reflecting off the snowflakes. Snowflakes are pretty.
Does Rainbowdash think I'm pretty?

main character moment
imagine how dumb aj looks right now lol
i wish i could experience snow some day.