A Question

The weeks passed. We journeyed north to London. There were plenty of boats, pirate and navy that we pillaged. I always loved the expression on their faces when they saw that Devilsblood was a woman, and their realisation they would not be alive to tell the tale. We came into possession artillery, food, and clothes. With the prospect of earning £10,000, the crew fought with vigour and enthusiasm. Injuries decreased, and stolen treasure increased. With the idea of losing Ryder, no one fought better than Dorian. He taught Alex how to sword fight like a professional, and even taught Ryder how to aim a gun.

Only Dorian, James and I knew of the plan. We told everyone we owned a king's sword, and that a merchant in London was eager to buy it for a large price. Ryder remained blissfully ignorant. I felt terrible, because we continued to kiss and I continued to hide the true plan from him. I knew I would feel guilty when I gave him away, but I told myself it was the right thing to do. The king wanted his son back, and I was going to deliver him. Of course £10,000 had been my real inspiration, but as Ryder became closer to me, I had to give myself a more humane reason for lying to him.

Meanwhile, Dorian watched us with a broken heart. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't let me love him. Most of all, I missed him.

I was on the rigging, mending a tear in the mast. "Remind me when we dock, to buy a new sail!" I called to Levi who was beneath me, patching up another hole.

"That storm hurt our Queen badly." Levi said. He sewed well. He taught the crew how to sew, as it was a necessity when mending sails and masts. "We could do with more rope too. Some knots are coming loose."

I nodded and finished off the patch. I climbed up, unhooking my feet from the rigging for support. I pulled myself over the edge into the crow's nest. I peered out to the horizon. There, far away, England's coast leered.

"One more day!" I called to Levi. I climbed back down. "One more day and then we're rich!"

He laughed. I continued on. When I hit the deck, Ryder walked over to me. He took my hand. "Will you come with me?"

"Sure." I said breathless from climbing down quickly.

He brought me down the stairs towards the crew cabin. We walked past the first floor and down to the final crew floor.
Ryder stopped and held both my hands. "I heard you say one more day."

I breathed in. "Yes. Just the one." My heart panged a bit.

"And then we're rich." He smiled.

"That's the plan." I nodded.

He took a breath in. "And I'll have everything I could have ever wanted. Well almost."

My smile faded. Now I began to get nervous. "What's happening Ryder?"

"Aviva ever since I saw you that night you saved my life," he said going red, "I think I knew then that you would be someone I wanted to love for the rest of my life."

"Ryder-" I said warningly.

He continued on. "You're such an incredible person. You're so gorgeous and your taught me everything I need to know. I love you."

"Ryder please don't-" I said, my voice breaking.

"We only have one day left until we get rich, and I don't want you to think that the money is making me say this but- I want to ask for your hand." He looked at me, breathless.

"Ryder." I said quietly, my eyes brimming with tears. "I- don't-"

Ryder looked at me. "You do love me don't you?"

"I-I don't- I don't know." I said apologetically.

"You- you don't know?" He stared at me, and dropped my hands.

"It wouldn't be right." I said, "I love someone else, Ryder. I'm sorry."

"Who is it?" He spat. "It can't be Dorian, he doesn't love you. I do! I love you!"

"I know you do!" I cried, "but I don't feel the same way."

"Why not?" He asked, hurt.

"Because I love Dorian!" I said it. "I love him and I can't do that to you. I cant pretend to love you when I feel that way about someone else."

Ryder stared at the ground. "Then why won't he marry you?" He spat.

"I don't know." I said. "I really don't know."

"My offer will still stand Aviva. I love you. I can make you happy. I can admit it. Dorian can't."

And he walked off. "Just think about it."

I was left alone in the cabin, a tear rolling down my cheek.