A Search

"Seven loaves." I said to the vendor. He raised his eyebrows.

"Planning a long trip I take? Not many people go around asking me for seven loaves in one lot." He said as he picked up the loaves. Sam and I brought our large leather bags and handed them over for him to put the bread in.

Sam joined us 22 years ago, after his ship lost their battle against us. He was very willing and keen.

"Something like that." I said, smiling to myself.

The vendor wasn't all that bright, for if he had taken a moment to look at us he would have recognised the battered, sun-worn, stolen clothes. However it was better for us if he didn't. He was less likely to serve us if he could see we were pirates. Especially as the king was not impressed with pirates.

After Dorian and I were banished, the king left himself with no heir. So, after he died, there was no choice but to pass it on to the next highest standing family in the land. An old friend of his majesty, the new king continued his policies- outlawing pirates, killing them, finding anyone who resembled a pirate and killing them too etc. This rule had continued for 18 years. Not that Dorian and I minded- we loved the thrill of the risk. It made us feel young again. Henry, on the other hand found it to be tiresome.

"Someday Mother, I'll just let myself get captured, just to see what it's like." He said once when he was 12. "It'll make a difference from running."

"We're not running." Said Dorian, as he played cards with Celeste. "We're living the life I dreamed of."

"It doesn't stop it from being running." Henry huffed. "Maybe I can get them to change their minds." He said, his face lighting up. "Then you can still be pirates, but we can stay on land for a bit."

I laughed. "Oh Henry. Even if you somehow managed to, do you really think we'd want to stay on land? No one chasing us? I mean- where's the fun in that?" But he never agreed.

I brought myself back to the present. Sam handed over some money, took our bags. and we turned towards the pathway. Because of our ship, we usually couldn't dock in broad daylight. Instead we usually moored on a beach between some cliffs, for concealment.

"Do you think Henry will be alright?" I asked Sam as we walked.

"What do you mean Captain?" He said.

"I mean, he isn't so keen on this life that we live. Of course he loves us, but he doesn't love piracy. Which I find very hard to take."

Sam chuckled. "Of course not. You've been a pirate your whole life. You expect your children to live that life with you. But sometimes they don't want the same things. And sometimes you have to let them have it. Despite what we may think, our children know themselves better than we do."

I blinked at him. "What?"

He laughed. "I'm just saying. Henry's a great kid. He's eager to taste the world. You told me when you were around his age you killed Blackbeard and became captain of this ship. This was your moment of freedom. And while I'm hoping Henry's won't be as violent, maybe he should taste it a bit."

I didn't respond.

"Sometimes the way we think we should show our kids love is by giving them all that we want in life. Showering them with gifts, luxury items and money. When in actual fact, it's the quiet things that matter to them. Letting them express themselves, giving them opportunities to try things out, giving them freedom."

I laughed. "I wasn't aware you were so philosophical Sam."

He smiled quietly. "Let your kids be who they are. Before it's too late to let them know you love them."