chapter one | new life

August 2, 1991

Harry Potter sat, thinking, in his new bed. He had just gotten into bed after a long night. And boy was this night special. Heck, this whole week had been special! For the first time in his life, he felt like he belonged somewhere!

He had been in some run down shelter with his 'family', Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and his cousin, Dudley. They had been run out of their home, due to a strange storm of letters. Yes, letters. And they had been addressed to him! But of course, Harry could not have anything for himself, no that would not do, especially not something so freaky, so his uncle had packed up the whole family and left.

It was the night of his eleventh birthday that his world had changed.

Just as the clock struck 12:00 am, and he had been about to blow out his dust candles, the front door to the shack had burst open and in had walked a huge; no really, a huge; beastly giant.

Well, at least that's what Harry had thought.

His first thought was to run, this man looked very strange and Harry's relatives didn't do strange. He knew if he stuck around, they would find some way to blame him for this strangeness.

But it was no matter.

Not even a minute later, his aunt and uncle had come running down the stairs, his uncle holding a shot gun. Harry had rolled his eyes at that, because of course his uncle would bring a shot gun.

Twenty minutes later, after a rather heated argument and confrontation in which the beast—whose name Harry found out was Hagrid, and that he was no beast at all—had all but scathed Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon for their treatment of 'The Boy Who Lived', whoever that was, Harry was taken away.

During these twenty minutes, Harry had discovered that he was a wizard, he had magic!

He had sort of zoned out after that fact, so he didn't really hear anything else.

That next day, Hagrid had woken him up from the first bed he had ever slept in, which was very comfortable, thank you very much. After explaining a little bit of what was happening, which, in Harry's opinion, was not a lot, they were off to a place called 'Diagon Alley' which Harry very much believed was made up.

Turns out it wasn't.

Diagon Alley was a cobblestoned shopping area, strictly for wizards!

Which, Harry still could not believe he was one. Him! Little old Harry Potter, the boy who lived in a cupboard, he was a wizard!

Anyways, Hagrid had brought him there to gather all the items listed on his letter—take that Uncle Vernon—as well as to make a trip to the bank.

The bank was one of the worst places Harry had ever been and would very much like it if he never had to go there again. The only part he had enjoyed was the ride on the cart they took to get to Harry's vault. The goblins are a story on its own.

Moving on.

The list it's self had consisted of very strange items. Starting off with what Harry concluded was the uniform; for the wizard school he'd be attending! The letter had stated that each student needed the following:

-Three sets of plain work robes (black)
-One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
-One pair of protective gloves, dragon hide (Harry had a hard time believing it was actually made from dragons, but nevertheless)
-One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
-School robes (House Crest will be inscribed upon sorting)
-Black Dress Pants
-Grey Sweater (Labeled under Hogwarts students)