chapter eight | detentions? oh, and a bit more panic

minor TW: implied/referenced child abuse

*        *        *

October 20, 1991

"Oi! What's this for? A detention from Snape?! For what?"

"It's the weekend, is it not? We haven't been in his class!"

"What could he have possibly given us detention for?? Merlin, that man finds a reason to punish us for anything."

"Surely you must have-WHAT! How did I get a detention from Professor Snape? I've been nothing but well-behaved in his classes!"

Harry rubbed his head to stop the oncoming headache. He's been listening to this for the past ten minutes.

Ron, Neville, Hermione, Seamus and Dean had all received detentions from Snape, which were delivered just a few moments ago. Obviously they weren't faring that well with the news, although Harry could agree with them. Snape had no good reason for giving them detentions.

They haven't even been in his class yet, since Friday, and it was only Sunday morning.

"Mate," Ron said, tapping Harry on the shoulder, "did you get one too? Surely the git wouldn't have given us all detentions without giving you one. He finds a reason to punish you all the time."

Harry sighed. He hadn't thought about Snape since Tuesday night. He put the whole altercation out of his head as soon as he went to bed that night.

"Erm, actually I didn't. He probably just forgot to write one out for me," Harry mumbled to the table. He could feel his face flushing an embarrassed red. He didn't even want to think of that dreadful night. He had made a fool of himself, acting like a baby in front of the man, trying to use the tactics he used on his Uncle to pacify him. He knew he had a punishment coming, despite what the man said. He didn't even want to imagine what the man could be planning with his friends. Probably trying to turn them against him.

Harry turned his attention back to Ron. "What did he even give you a detention for? Does the note say?" He leaned over his friends shoulder, trying to read the written scrawl.

Ron scowled, "Yeah, the bloody git says 'you caused a distraction to students at lunch yesterday with the insufferable way you stuffed your face. Detention for the disturbance of students'. Man, he's such an arse."

Harry rolled his eyes. The man was ridiculous in his reasons for detentions. He turned to every body else. "What did you all get detentions for?"

"I got one for 'constantly sticking my nose in a book'. Honestly! I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but our Professor is the most irritating man I've ever met," Hermione said, two angry spots of red appearing on her cheeks.

"How about you three?"

"Me and Dean got one for 'being loud and insufferable.' That bloody arse could at least try to find a better excuse," Seamus muttered through clenched teeth.

"You, Neville?" Harry turned to the boy in question, who was looking down at his paper, pale as ever.

"I-I got one for 'forgetting something important' Problem is, I don't know what I would have forgotten that would have angered him. Oh lord, he probably wants to kill me!"

"Just, uh, just don't worry about Neville, he probably is doing it to get under your skin," Harry said, sliding his plate away from him. He had only taken three bites but this conversation was slowly turning his stomach sour. He didn't really eat breakfast anyway.