Chapter 6

Max's POV:

After Pietro left and I banished myself back to my room, I felt uneasy. I know he told me that I wasn't making him feel unwelcome but I feel like I did. I can't do anything right. I never can. I feel like such a failure. I can't make my brothers happy and I can't even make a guest in our house feel happy and welcome. I've met Pietro in the past a few times. His family would come to BBQ's and galas we hosted. I don't remember much but I do remember thin being very sweet. I'm curious as to why he is here in America though. He's the Italian mafia boss. So I know something is up.
I really hope Aiden or any of my brothers aren't upset with me. I really tried tonight. I ate some food and even talked with our guest but again it never seems like anything I do is good enough anymore nowadays.

A knock on my door jolts me out of my self pity and Ace walks in.

Ace: "I just wanted to check in on you sweetheart and to say goodnight"

Max: "I'm...... I'm fine Ace."

Ace: "are you sure Max? I'm here If you want to talk or need anything".

Max: "I know Ace. I'm sorry about tonight"

Ace: "what the hell are you taking about max. You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm very proud of you for joining us and eating tonight. It made me very happy"

Max: "ok..."

Ace: "get some sleep hun. Pietro will be joining us for lunch again tomorrow and we must have a meeting. You'll be joining!"

Max: "ok ace. Goodnight"

Ace: "goodnight max. I love you sweetheart".

I couldn't say it back. Ace flipped off the lights and walked out, closing the door behind him which I appreciated.

I fell asleep after taking some sleeping aids I have hidden in my bedside drawer to help me sleep.

Next day...

I wake up and watch a few episodes of Friends of HBO Max while getting ready for lunch. 12:30 rolls around and I head downstairs and take my place at the dinning table on our back porch. Pietro and Ace were talking, Aiden was finishing up a phone call a few feet away and Jaxon was on his phone.

Jaxon: "hey Max"

I quietly said hi back to him and took my seat.
Jaxon saying hi to me brought ace and Pietro out of their conversation and they both said good afternoon to me.

Pietro: "hello max. How are you today?"

Max: "I'm okay. How are you sir?"

Pietro: "I'm good thank you. But please, like I've said before, don't call me sir Max"

Max: "yes. I'm so sorry"

Pietro: "don't be"

Aiden sat down in. His chair and the maids brought the food out. I stared down at my for awhile, just pushing it around my plate. I took a few bites here and there but my stomach starts to hurt. Jaxon rubs my back encouraging me to eat a bit more and silently saying it's okay. I slightly relax into his touch and take some deep breaths.

Aiden: "max. We need to talk"

Max: "yes sir. Okay"

Widening see all four boys tense up and sit a bit straighter in their seats. Jaxon grabs a hold of my right hand and squeezes. Now I'm suspicious. This can't be good.

Aiden: "Max as you know in our like of family business, we must all make sacrifices and choices that are for the best for the family. This decision was made in a contract many years ago by our father and Pietros father and it must be honored. This contract states that when you are 18 years old and done with high school, you are to marry the Don of the Italian Mafia. Next month you will be engaged and we'd to Pietro after you turn 18, Max."