Chapter 9

Pietros POV:

We arrive at my private jet rather quickly. I carry Max on as she quietly sleeps. The flight took a few hours before we promptly arrive.

As requested my mafias doctor is at my house waiting for us. I bring Max to one of my guests rooms and gently put her on the bed. Dr. Salt comes in. She's one of the best. I've known her my whole life and trust her with my whole being.

Dr. Lana Salt: "Capo. What's her name?"

Pietro: "Lana, this is Max. My fiancé. She's been hit by her oldest brother, Capo of the American Mafia. She's also been locked in her room for awhile. I'm worried. She practically fainted when I went to pick her up while stumbling down the stairs"

Dr. Lana Salt: "oh my. Okay, we'll let's take a look. I'm going to have to undress her to completely check her over. Do I have permission"

Pietro: "yes. I can help if needed but she would probably be more comfortable with me not in here"

In that moment, Max opens her eyes.

Pietro: "Max. Thank goodness you're awake. How are you feeling Max?"

Max: "I'm okay sir. I'm sorry what's going on?"

Im internally rolling my eyes at her calling me "sir". It disgusts me. I don't ever want her to feel she needs to call me sir. Being called "sir" makes it seem like I own her. I don't own her. I don't want her to ever feel as though she's an object to me that is under my control.

Pietro: "this is Dr. Lana Salt, Max. She's a family friend and works for me. She's going to check you over and help in every way she can. She needs you to undress and change. I offered my help but I thought you'd be more comfortable with me not in the room."

Max: "I'd prefer to do it with just the doctor if that's okay"

Pietro: "of course Max. I'll be out in the hall, if you need anything, call my name, I'll be right in"

I leave the room and allow Lana to take over. I know it'll take some time. I'm hoping Lana can get Max to open up to her a bit about what's been going on and maybe give her any insight on how I can help her out. I feel so useless right now. Also the fact that she called me sir. God. That is going to drive me insane. I need her to stop calling me that. If I give her rules that will be number 1! I don't want to give her rules right now though. I can't overwhelm her. 

Lanas POV:

This poor innocent girl. She definitely didn't deserve what has happened to her. I can tell right off the bat that she is in critical condition. She's extremely malnourished, pale, cheeks sunken in. Her heart rate is high in the 160's and blood pressure low 80/45. I cleaned her wounds on her backside. It's mostly bruising now. However, I'm concerned because I have suspicions that her tailbone is fractured from being hit so hard.

After thoroughly examining Max's physical injuries and ailments, I move on to the psychiatric part of the examination.

Lana: "Okay Max. I just have some questions we've got to go through then we will be sweetheart. You can nod or shake your head if you feel too uncomfortable answering out loud. Okay Max. Have you felt down, helpless, sad or depressed in the last month?"

I notice she nods her head yes.

"How long have you been feeling like this Max?"

Max: "a really long time."

My heart breaks for this girl. She's very anxious and cautious even around me. I mean, I understand being nervous around Pietro because he's a big guy.

Lana: "max have you ever harmed yourself or had thoughts or harming yourself?"

I notice Max hesitating to answer which answers my initial concern and questioning earlier when I noticed fresh cut marks on her arm during her examination. 

Lana: "it's okay if you have Max. You're not going to be in trouble for answering me truthfully."

She nods her head yes.

Lana: "Max have you had thoughts recently about ending or life?"

She hesitated again but nods up and down. This poor sweet girl doesn't deserve this life she's been thrown into. I know Pietro deeply cares about Max though. He used to talk about her all the time when we were all younger. He would never lay a hand on this girl. I know that for sure.

I finish my examination and leave Max to rest as she fell asleep a few moments ago while I was typing in her chart. I leave the room and sit down next to an exhausted and very stressed looking Pietro. I inform him of her injuries and condition along with her mental being. Patient confidentiality isn't a thing when you're in the mafia. I told Max that I would have to let Pietro know important things but if she didn't want me to tell him things then I would respect and honor those wishes. However, she said I could tell him everything.

While telling Pietro everything, I would visibly see the internal battle he was having with himself. He's trying to act tough and strong but I notice a few tears slip out especially when I mentioned the self harm inflicted on her arm and her suicide ideation. I see the care and love he has for this girl in his eyes. That alone assured me that he will help Max and protect.

Pietros POV:
Lanas finished informing me of everything going on with Max.
I'm devastated. Max should never have had to felt as alone as she did. She never should have to feel invalidated or worthless.
Of course I'm extremely concerned about her even more so knowing that she has thought about ending her life. I will do everything in my power to prevent that. I can't lose her.

I pick up a sleeping Max and bring her to her bedroom I had prepared for her. I place her on her bed, cover her with the blankets, kiss her forehead goodnight and leave the room.

These next few days I'll be helping her as needed. I have my second in command taking over my duties for as long as needed so I can help Maxine settle in and feel safe and comfortable with me. That's all I can pray for to happen right now.