Chapter 10

Pietros POV:

It's been a week since I brought Max back home with me. She's slowly been adjusting. I don't think I've ever held so much patience for someone in my life before but for her, I'd do just about anything.
She's slowly starting to open up to me more and more each day as she's healing from the trauma she's leaving behind. She hasn't spoken to any of her brothers even though Benji has called everyday asking to speak with her. She states she's not ready to speak to any of them yet and I will respect her decision. Of course, I let Benji know how she is and that she's healing. I can see how deeply her twin cares for her and how this is all affecting him. However, my main concern will always be Maxine.
Climbing downstairs, I hear a faint humming coming from the kitchen. I quietly make my appearance and see Max going about her morning supposedly making breakfast. It took about two full songs for her to notice me standing in the doorway as she sheepishly looks at me with the most adorable blush appearing on her cheeks.

Max: "morning Pietro, I made pancakes and bacon. I hope that was okay"

Pietro: "my favorite. And you never have to ask, this is your house as much as it is mine. If you wanna cook, cook. If you want go outside, go enjoy the sunshine. It's yours Max".

Max: "I'm sorry. I'm just still getting used to having more freedom. I just don't want to do anything that'll upset you sir"

I roll my eyes. Sir. That has been the one thing I she hasn't fully let go of.

Pietro: "the only thing that upsets me is when you call me sir. I'm not your owner Max. Call me anything but that. Please Max".

Max: "yes. I know. I'm sorry".

Pietro: "also no more apologizing. Ever".

She looks at me with a tilted head and giggles.
We both sit down to eat breakfast and enjoy the rest of the day together; mostly outside on the back porch as it was absolutely gorgeous outside today.

It's now two weeks Max has been here and I honestly couldn't be happier. She's more settled in. Not calling me sir anymore and she's only apologized three times for ridiculous things that I chose to ignore. Overall, she happier and I couldn't be happier.

Maxine's POV:
I've been living with Pietro for two weeks now. Things have been nice. Yes, I call him Pietro now. I've refrained from calling him sir. However, even though everything seems to be okay, I'm still hesitant. We haven't really taken out so called "relationship" any further. He hasn't kissed me or anything. He also hasn't laid his hands on me in any way. I'm still wary because of the history with my brothers disciplining me and also I know Pietro's father was known for his harsh treatment towards women in the mafia.
My anxiety is at its highest tonight, since being here, because Pietro informed me his mother and sister are coming over for dinner. Apparently his father is no longer with his mother. I don't know all the details though about what went down. I'm praying they like me. Plus having another girl around my age to be around would be really nice. His moms name is Cindy and his sisters name is Livy. Livy is only two years older then me and is in college for fashion design! I can tell how much Pietro loves them. His eyes practically shine when he talks about them. I just don't want to make a fool out of myself. I'm not happy with this arrangement but I also don't want his mom and sister thinking I'm not good enough for Pietro.
I head downstairs to the living room to wait for them to arrive. I notice Pietro already relaxing on the L-shaped couch on his phone. I carefully sit done on the opposite end so he doesn't feel like I'm invading his space.

Pietro: "hello beautiful. You know I don't bite right. You don't have to be afraid to sit next to me".

I internally groan. He read me like a book. I don't know how he so easily does that.

Max: "I'm sorry Pietro. I just didn't want to invade your personal space while you were on your phone".

Pietro: "you're more important then any work I could be doing Max. Please come next to me"

I get up and make my way over to him and sit down only leaving a few inches between us. Ever since he caught me singing in the kitchen that morning, I feel more intense butterflies in my stomach. I definitely have feelings for this man but my fears holding me back. I have so many unanswered questions that I desperately need answers to before I can allow myself to really try in this relationship.
As I'm thinking about all of this, Pietros mother and sister walk in through the front door. I immediately jump up to great them. While doing so, Pietro chuckles at my actions but nonetheless smiles and makes his way to his mother and sister and engulfs them both in hugs and kisses their cheeks. I shyly stand a few feet behind Pietro, nervously wringing my hands together.

Cindy: "ohh darling you must be the infamous Max. I haven't seen you since you were a baby. You have grown into such a lovely young lady"

Cindy comes straight to me without any hesitation and wraps her arms around me all while whispering in my ear, "I see why my son is so smitten by you, he's a very lucky man. Welcome to the family sweetheart".
I felt elated. And relieved. She remembered me and she seems to approve of me so far. Now I just have to make sure I'm on my best behavior for the rest of the night. I don't want to embarrass myself or Pietro.

His sister comes up to me and gives me a hug also, squealing with excitement about finally having a sister. I can tell already I'm going to get along great with her.

We all file onto the dinning room and have a lovely dinner. We talked about when a Pietro was a little and all the trouble he would get into with his mother. We also talked about him playing football and when he faked being injured so he could take a nap on the sidelines. I genuinely enjoyed dinner and had a good time. I've never had a real family dinner and I'm sad I never experienced this until now.

After a few more hours of conversation and dessert, Cindy and Livy headed home for the night. Pietro helped me clean up and we headed upstairs for the night. We were about to head to our separate rooms when I took a chance and called out to Pietro.

Max: "Pietro wait! Thank you for tonight. I've never got to experience something like that and I love your mother and sister".

Pietro: "that makes me so happy to hear. I was so nervous and as always you were amazing".

Max: "so you think they liked me?" I asked cautiously. I didn't want to hurt his feelings or anger him. But I was honestly curious if he thinks they liked me. I hoped they would. I absolutely loved spending the last few hours with them.

Pietro's POV:

I was dumbfounded. But at the same time her innocence was absolutely adorable.

Pietro: "no doubt in my mind they absolutely loved you. My sister is already talking about you two spending a ton of "girly" time together"

Max: "really? You mean it?"

It killed me to see her doubt herself.

Pietro: "without a doubt. You have to give yourself more credit Max. You're an absolutely amazing, caring, loving and beyond beautiful young lady. You need to start believing in that"

She looked down and blushed. SHE BLUSHED! Ot was absolutely adorable. My heart nearly melts every time her cheeks turn that tinge of pink. She smiles gently at me and moves closer. I take one big step to meet her halfway.

Next thing I know; she does the unthinkable. She quickly and shyly Lena's into me, grabs my shoulders gently and kisses me. KISSES ME! She kissed ME!!
It was short, sweet and gentle.

Max's POV:

I surprised myself when I reached up standing on my tip toes and placed a kiss on Pietro. But I couldn't help myself. He's been beyond kind and caring to me. I could be meant every word that just came out of his mouth. To be honest, I've never felt more cared about or loved by someone. I secretly, not so secretly, am definitely falling for this man hard. He hasn't hurt me in any way. He's been helping me build my confidence and I can see it in his eyes how much he cares about me. He's always so concerned if I have a clumsy moment or if I have a faraway look in my eyes. He makes me feel safe and that's something I've always craved but never had.