T h r e e

"How was school, sweetheart?" my mother asked me as I rummaged through the fridge.

I looked over at her blankly.

"That good, huh?" she questioned.

"If I could legally drink, I would need half of Dad's bottle of scotch," I finally answered as I grabbed what I was looking for.

I sat down with my bowl of fruit and water and raised my eyes to look at my mother's matching emerald ones.

"I'm sorry, honey. You know you don't need to do this, right?" she asked.

"I know, Mom. But I want to. I made a promise, and I have every intention of fulfilling it."

"Sweetheart, just please remember to take care of yourself, okay?"

I nodded, taking a bite of fruit. "I will. I'm meeting with Dad in an hour to train."

"You know you don't have to keep doing this, right?"

"Mom, it helps me. It helps with the anger."

"Sweetie, why don't you see a therapist or someone?"

I closed my eyes, exhaling slowly. "I don't need to talk to someone, Mom. I need a channel for my anger, and this helps."

My mother sighed but didn't say anything else on the matter.

"Did you make any new friends?" she asked.

"Yeah, a girl. Her name's Cleopatra, but she goes by Cleo," I answered.

"I think I remember H—him, mentioning her."

I caught the stutter in my mother's tone but didn't say anything about it. "She seems sweet. I'll tell you and Dad about it over dinner, okay?"

She nodded, smiling lightly at me.

I stood up with my finished food and pressed a kiss to my mother's cheek as I walked to the sink with my dishes. I washed them and put them on the rack to dry before I went upstairs to change into my training gear.

I slipped on a pair of leggings and swapped my hoodie for a loose tank top, knowing it was going to come off anyway.

I stood in front of my mirror and undid my braid. Once it was out, I scraped my hair into a bun and secured it. I hated the feeling of my hair sticking to my skin when I was sweaty.

I grabbed my gym bag and left the room, making sure I had everything. I had finished most of my work during my study hall period, so I wasn't worried about needing to be back in time for homework. I said goodbye to my mother as I slipped out of the house again, going back to my bike.

As I drove to the gym, I thought over how the rest of my day had gone.

  He had been in my PE class as well, but I had been able to enjoy my study hall period in peace. Cleo had met me after school to exchange numbers, but that had been it. I had managed to get through my first day without too much attention from the people I needed to avoid a little longer.

"Nice of you to join us, McGarrett," a man's voice called out to me.

I looked over and smiled wryly. "What's the matter, Watson? Miss being put on your ass already?"