E l e v e n

"Thank you for dinner," I said as we walked around downtown.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it."

I smiled warmly as I dug my hands in my pockets. It had been colder than I expected, and the cold air seemed to be sneaking into my clothes. I shivered lightly.

"Do you want to get some hot chocolate to warm up?" Watson asked.

"Yes, please. It's freezing," I answered.

He nodded in agreement and held his arm out. I laughed lightly as I slipped my hand around his arm. I instantly felt warmth seep into me from where I was touching him.

"Do you come here often?" he asked as we walked towards the chocolate shop.

"Not as much anymore since Lucas was admitted to the hospital. You?"

He shook his head. "I'm new to the area, and I stick to the trails more than the town or city."

"I like downtown. It has the small-town vibes that you'd see in a Hallmark movie. It's easy to forget you're in the city. And that chocolate shop has the best hot chocolate I've ever had."

"Where do you want to move to for school?" he asked me.

"I'm not sure," I admitted. "I stayed in the city during my private school days and didn't like it too much. I like being off the grid, I think."

Watson looked at me in surprise. "You wouldn't want to move away from here?"

I shrugged. "I haven't thought about my future all that much, to be honest. It doesn't make sense to plan or even think about it without Lucas."

Watson didn't say anything as he held the door open for me. I thanked him as I entered the little shop, the various smells of chocolate wafting over to greet my nose. I smiled as I took in the warmth.

"Do you like it here?" Watson asked me.

I turned to look at him and nodded. "Their truffles are the absolute best. Lucas and I used to spend our allowance here pretty often as kids."

Watson smiled warmly. "I can just imagine you running around here as a kid, causing havoc."

I laughed. "That is exactly what used to happen. Lucas used to be the quiet, behaved one."

"Do you mind if I look around?"

"No, not at all! I'm going to get us some hot chocolate. Is there anything you'd like in yours?"

"Surprise me."

I nodded and left him on his own as I made my way to the counter where they sold hot chocolate.

"Cassandra, hi! I haven't seen you in a long time. How are you?" the owner greeted me.

"Hello, Liz. I'm okay, thanks. How are you?" I asked politely.

"I'm well. How are your parents?"

"They're hanging in there."

She smiled sadly. "I miss him, too. I'm really sorry you and your family have to go through this kind of loss."

"Thank you. We really appreciate that."

"What can I get you, sweetheart?"

"May I please have two cups of hot coco to go?"