S i x t e e n

"How are you feeling?" Watson asked.

I blew out a breath as I stared at the TV screen.

"How can I help?" he asked.

"Distract me?" I requested, turning my head to look at him.

He smiled gently and nodded, leaning over to get the remote. He turned the TV off, and I sat up to face him. I sat cross-legged, watching him as he moved around and grabbed some things. When he came back, he had a small box in his hand. I looked at him curiously as he came around and sat in front of me.

"So, I originally got this for you as a birthday present, but I chickened out," he explained.

I looked at him in amusement.

"You may look tiny, but you are fierce. I didn't want you kicking my ass."

I let out a laugh. "You didn't have to get me anything."

"I wanted to. I'm in your corner, no matter what, remember?"

I smiled warmly, nodding.

Watson handed the box to me.

I opened it to find a silver necklace with a knot of circles. It looked like one circle knotted in on itself. I liked the simplicity of it, but I didn't know what it meant.

"Does it have a meaning?" I finally asked aloud.

"It's the Celtic symbol for eternal friendship. It's my way of saying that no matter what happens or doesn't happen between us, I'll always be there for you," he explained.

I smiled. "I love it. Will you put it on me, please?"

Watson smiled back and nodded. I moved so that he could clasp the necklace around me. Once he was finished, I felt the knot settle comfortably in the hollow of my throat.

"This is really sweet," I said, looking at him. "You really didn't have to get me anything, though."

"I know. I wanted to. I get the feeling that you think you're alone when that's not true. You will always have someone in your corner, Cassandra, no matter what. That's what 'always' means."

I blinked roughly, trying to stop the tears that were pricking my eyes.

"Can I hug you?" I mumbled.

Watson nodded, drawing me in close to his chest. I rested my head against his heart and let him hold me tightly, drawing comfort from being in his arms. I closed my eyes and deflated against him.

"I got you. It's okay," he murmured soothingly.

I nodded, holding him tightly.

We stayed like that for a while, and I kept my eyes closed the whole time. I wanted to enjoy peace when I could. It had felt like I was living in chaos these days and hadn't been able to come up for a breath of order.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Watson asked gently.

I shook my head against his chest. "Will you please hold me for a bit?"

"Always, Cassandra. I'm here for you."

And he had been. When I had panic attacks after trainings, he had been there. When I had woken up from nightmares lately, soaked in sweat, he had been on the other end of the call in the middle of the night. When I had felt like I was holding on by a thread, he had been there to alleviate the stress. He was right.

I wasn't alone.

I had never been alone.

And I was never going to be alone.