E i g h t e e n

"You are all good to go. You got lucky you don't have any major injuries, young lady," the doctor spoke as he finished wrapping my left hand.

"Thanks, Doc," I answered sheepishly.

After he left, my parents walked into the room with anger written all over their faces.

I looked down at my busted and bruised knuckles. I had gotten lucky. I only had bruises, and the worst of my injuries was the fractured wrist I had gotten from pulling him out of the pool. He had fallen unconscious, and I had somehow managed to get his weight at an awkward angle.

"Do you realize what you put us through?" my father questioned.

His voice sent chills down my spine.

It made me realize why people were afraid of him, why they never wanted to be on his bad side.

"We could have lost you today, Cassandra!" my mother shouted. "Do you have any idea what you put us through?!"

"How dare you, Cassandra. How dare you put your life on the line like that. Were you even thinking about us, about your brother?!" my father shouted.

I looked up at them, tears streaming silently down my face.

"I was only thinking about you and Lucas. I can't find reason to live without my brother," I confessed. "I had to do it, and I know it was wrong. But I'm okay. I'm okay because you two protected me, you taught me how to defend myself. And you believed in me."

"Cassandra—" my mother began.

"Mom, I'm okay. It's over now. He's in custody and we have proof of his crimes. We have video that he attacked me first. It's over. We're safe, Mom, Dad. Me and Lucas are safe now."

"We could have lost you," my dad spoke in a shaky breath. "Damn it, Cassandra, we thought we lost you."

I stood up and pulled both of my parents into a hug.

"I'm here," I whispered. "And I don't intend to go anywhere. I promise."

I heard my mom sniffle against my shoulder.

"You're grounded," she mumbled in my ear.

"I'll be grounded for life if that's what you want. I'll take it," I answered, pulling away. "I just want to see him."

My father nodded. He reached out, pulling me into his arms. I hugged him tightly, letting the tears fall. When I pulled away, my dad pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"Go see your brother," he said quietly.

I turned and ran to Lucas's room.

When I opened the door, I stopped short.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I did your brother wrong," Tyler answered. "I wanted to apologize to him. Are you okay?"

I nodded. "It's over. The police will want statements from you and Nic."

"I don't know where to go from here. I don't know how my parents will react," he admitted.

"I think they may surprise you, Tyler. And if they're not supportive, you're not alone. You have me," I answered.

He looked at me in surprise.

"You'll never have to be alone again," I promised.

He nodded, tears in his eyes. He smiled sadly at me and walked out of the room. I heard him speak to someone on the phone, and I smiled. He was going to be okay, one way or another. And I would be there for him if he wanted me there for him.