S i x

"You are an oddly difficult person to find around here," a familiar voice caught my attention.

I looked away from my locker to see her standing there, a smirk playing on her pink lips. Her cinnamon eyes twinkled in amusement, and her caramel skin was clear of any imperfections. Light makeup dusted her face, accentuating her features, and her mahogany hair was curled loosely, framing her face. She looked exactly the way she had when I had left without any warning months before.

"Why are you here?" I asked her as I turned my attention back to my locker. I finished putting my textbooks away and grabbed the one I needed for my class.

"Because when your best friend leaves school without any kind of a heads up, you find out what the hell happened and have her back," she answered.

I shut my locker and turned to her.

"Camellia, what the hell are you doing?" I hissed to her.

"Wow, you really are angry that I'm here."

I clenched my jaw.

"Look, I got your mom to tell me what happened. I'm here to help you," she added. "He was always sweet to me, and he is your brother. What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't help you through this?"

I sighed in resignation. "Lia, no one knows who I am here, and I need to keep it that way."

"Why do you think I'm here to help? You know I can make sure everything about you stays hidden."

I let out a breath, knowing she was right.

"You must be the new girl," a familiar voice spoke behind me.

I rolled my eyes and worked my jaw. Lia saw my reaction but kept her face blank. She greeted the demon behind me.

"What gave me away?" Lia asked sweetly.

"Anyone worth even a penny doesn't hang around her," Nicolette answered.

I bit back the urge to say anything. I wiped my face blank of emotion and turned to face the one who was speaking. She looked at me with clear distaste. I thought of what Watson had told me and unclenched my hand, relaxing.

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you are," Lia spoke behind me.

"Oh, I'm Nicolette, but all my friends call me Nicky."

"I'd say it's a pleasure to meet you, Nicolette, but it's really not," Lia retorted.

I had to stop myself from snorting aloud.

"Excuse me?" she screeched.

I took a step back.

"And she screeches like a she-demon, too," I mumbled under my breath.

I heard Lia quietly snicker behind me.

"What did you say to me?" she demanded.

I saw her staring daggers at me. In that moment, I truly wondered why anyone was scared of her. She was all words, and even her insults were pathetic. It was like she got her lines from a booked called How to Bully Others.

"I said, 'and she screeches like a she-demon, too.' You really should get your ears checked out," I answered her. "They may need some early maintenance."