S e v e n t e e n

"Are you absolutely sure about this?" Watson asked.

I finished putting my boot on and looked up at him.

"I have to do this for Lucas," I answered.

"I'm scared, Cassandra. I don't want to lose you."

"Elliot," I spoke softly.

I walked to him and rested my hand on his cheek. He leaned into my hand and closed his eyes. I felt my brows knit together.

"It's going to work out," I assured him. "I know you'll be there, watching my back."

"I don't like this," he spoke, looking at me.

His blue eyes were darkened with worry, reminding me of a stormy night.

Outside, the rain fell harder, and I heard the rumble of thunder. It was an oddly perfect setting for the day, like even nature was upset with what the day had in store. I only hoped that the rain was cleansing and not a sign of something going wrong.

"I have to do this for Lucas, Elliot. I'm half a whole without him," I confessed. "He's the other half of my soul."

"Then you make sure you put this monster to an end the right way, behind bars. Don't let your anger cloud your judgement. Remember who you are, Cassandra Hela McGarrett."

"You just had to use the middle name, didn't you?" I tried to tease.

Watson held my face gently in his hands.

"Don't do anything stupid," he told me seriously. "I prefer you alive and in one piece."

"I promise to be careful."

He nodded, assured.

I felt a small smile lift the corners of my lips. I leaned in and pressed my lips softly to his, letting him know I was going to do my best to be careful. I wanted to be careful. I wanted to heal the right way, with my brother by my side, along with the people I cared about.

Watson kissed me back, pressing his lips firmly against mine as I tangled my hand in his hair. We pulled apart far enough for me to step into his arms and rest my head on his shoulder. I closed my eyes and took comfort in his arms.

"I'll be there the whole time," he whispered in my ear.

"I trust you," I answered quietly.

He looked at me in surprise, and I smiled sadly.

"I'll see you later, Butterfingers."

With that, I walked away from him and out the door. I waved at my parents and got on my bike, covering my face with my helmet. I knew that what I was doing was stupid and reckless, that I was putting myself in danger.

And I also knew that it was the only way I was going to get what I wanted.

Revenge, and justice. In that order. And I would have them both today. I needed them both. 

I drove the long way to the school to throw off anyone who may have been tailing me. It was important that no one followed me. He would never show up if he thought he was going to get caught, and one thing I had learned was that this monster was not stupid. He was clever, intelligent, and cunning in ways that made other criminals look like toddlers playing dress up.

I parked my bike in the lot, walking towards the pools with my helmet on. Rain was falling harder, like it knew what I had done. Like it knew that I had betrayed the people that cared about me.