Love letters (G.B.)

Y/N POV

It was a lovely day. The sun was shining and birds were flying around, causing people to smile or laugh.

But here I was - on my worn out bed crying my eyes out. The letters were all over my room, the smell of my beloved one was all over my room.

I can't believe it's been eight months already.

The last time I saw my boyfriend and best friend was summertime and now it's spring already. Gilbert was recruited by a military and he had to go overseas.

We didn't lose touch of course - we wrote letters to each other.

I softly brushed my few tears away and started to read the oldest letters.

June 19, 1899

My dearest love Y/N,

I hope you're doing great. My heart breaks every time I think that something bad could happen to you.
You know, dear, that I love you so much. I love your inside and outside. And I miss you with all of my heart and body.
I miss your voice, your talks and laughs. I miss your whines and quirky personality. I miss the way your hair looks like in the sun. The way your skin glimmers after shower. I miss your spontaneous walks or runs while it's raining. I miss the way you smile and get excited over every animal you see. I miss your skin against mine.
I give you my strong stainless promise and word that one day I'll come back to you, come back to Avonlea.

God, I love you so much. My heart beats only for you.

Yours always,

Gilbert

I was bailing at this moment as my fingers trembled. Few wet drops fell on my hands and clothes as I brushed through Gilbert's handwriting.
My hand reached to the left and I took another letter.

August 4, 1899

My dearest love Y/N,

how are you? I want to ask you so many questions. I want to see you, to kiss you, to hug you, to hold you, to touch you, to love you.
It's getting so hard for me these days. Everything I do and everywhere I go, I think of you, my love.
I miss you. I miss you. I miss you.
I miss us too.
There are rumors in our military camp that the war may begin. I think... You know what that means... I want to come back to you, to create a family with you, Y/N. Imagine us having a house like the one that you always showed me when we walked by. We would have a big garden and maybe an animal. Maybe someday there would be cute little children playing around.
Y/N. You know that I want that. I don't want to die. I don't want to end this life like that when there're so much for us.
I love you.

Yours always,

Gilbert

September 25, 1899

My dearest love Y/N,

I see you have gotten my letter. And I know that it has been over a month but this month was a torture - every-time the mailman came, I was hoping to het a letter from you. And it finally came!
You asked me when I am coming back but I guess you already know the answer. I don't know when they will let us go but I hope it will be soon.
Thank you, my love, for everything. For being there for us, for believing in us. I hope that when I'll come bock we will be able to heal our broken and ripped hearts with our love.
I miss you so much that even words cannot describe it.
Every-time I see the bright moon, I look up, knowing that you'll be looking at it in Avonlea.
I miss you.
And I miss you so much.
Only you can know this.

Yours always,

Gilbert

I brushed my tears away and blew out the runny nose.
I cannot read these anymore.
My body was shivering mess at this moment but I accidentally brushed over the pack of letters and they all fell down.

"Why am I always so clumsy." I sighed and quickly started to puck the letters up.

As I was putting them in the cupboard, one letter caught my attention.

It was packed in a beautiful, never seen blue envelope. My eyebrows furrowed.

What is this?

I gripped the letter and immediately recognized the writing.

Gilbert? But why is it in blue?

My hands opened the evelope.

April 17, 1900

My dearest love Y/N,

I'm coming back.

Gilbert

I couldn't believe my eyes. I've read those words over and over again.

He's coming back.

He's coming back!

He's com-

I slightly jumped with a smile but it quickly turned into scared face when I heard steps at my door. The coldness and adrenaline wave went through my whole body and I was ready to fight whoever this might be.

I was ready for the scariest and weirdest things but what popped up in front of my eyes was not anything I could've expected.

There he was.

The boy who became my life.

Right in front of me.

I couldn't move. My body was frozen on the spot.

But when Gilbert spread his arms, inviting me into his embrace, everything disappeared.

My legs took me into his embrace so fast that the boy almost fell down.

I gripped on his shirt, feeling it and still not believing it's real. The salty tears were now falling like waterfalls.

"Y/N, baby." The voice I missed so much over this all time echoed through my room. I couldn't cope with it and the tears started to fall down even more.

"Love, I'm here. I'm here." Gilbert brushed his hands over my back.

I hugged him even tighter if that was possible and finally looked up.

It wasn't needed for us to say something. Our lips smashed together into a loving and passionate kiss.

"I missed you so much." I somehow whispered. "I missed you so much. I love you." My mind wasn't even processing the words that left my mouth.

"I missed you too, baby." He smiled and once again pulled me into the kiss.

We were happy together. Gilbert never had to go to the military again. We created our dream house and family with two cute children.

So this is what love is like...?