Chapter 8

"Alya!" I quickly walked to catch up whilst shoving one of my textbooks into my bag.

"There you are Marinette! I feel like you've been M.I.A. All week." She said it in a joking tone, but I couldn't help the wave of guilt that flooded over me. I hadn't seen much of anyone this week, with all that had been happening.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I've just been so busy with detention-"

"Ah, yes." Alya had a huge smirk on her face. "You know who's seemed to miss your attendance in class? Besides me, of course."

We began our trek up the school steps, "Don't tell me Mrs. Medeleiev is already wanting my company back." I managed to roll my eyes.

Alya laughed but shook her head, "Luka won't stop asking about you. Wants to know how you're holding up."

How was I holding up? Between all the bruises and painfully sore muscles, it was a miracle I had shown up to school at all today.

"Well, tell him I'm just peachy. I'm living the high life over in the library."

Now it was my turn to pry, "but enough about me... I heard a certain someone has had eyes for you. Wears headphones and glasses?"

As we turned into our first period, her head snapped towards me. She leaned in and whispered, "Nino? He's interested in me?" Almost reluctantly, a smile covered Alya's features.

"With your reaction, I'd say it goes both ways." I smirked and sat at my desk.

She playfully smacked me with her textbook and sat next to me.

Mrs. Bustier walked around the classroom and handed out paperwork before making her way to the front of the room.

"Today you will be assigned partners for a project. You will present it in three weeks, and it will count as twenty percent of your grade. Make sure you do well on this." The whole class seemed to sink back into their seats simultaneously.

As if I didn't have enough on my plate already.

She started naming off pairs, and Alya leaned towards me. "We could always bribe our partners to switch and let us work together?"

Just as she finished her sentence, Mrs. Bustier finished the pairing: "Alya with Nino, and Marinette... with Adrien."

Alya tried to maintain a neutral expression, but I saw a faint smile when she turned to me.

"About what I said about switching partners..."

I waved her off, "Go, Alya. Save me details for later!" She gave me a last grateful glance before speed-walking over to Nino.

That means I was stuck with-

"This seat taken?" Adrien didn't wait for a response as he put his stuff down next to me.

The room was erupted in chatter. Everyone was frantically making a game plan and starting rough drafts for the project, but I couldn't think of one word to say to Adrien.

How could I explain my injuries if he noticed I was weaker? We were supposed to investigate Chloe tonight at the Musée de Louvre, one of the most famous and heavily secured museums in Paris, France.

What if I can't keep up because I'm hindered? I put makeup on to cover up a slight bruise on my cheek from where the man with the razor teeth had gripped me. A shiver ran down my spine as his features came into view once more.

"Our project has to incorporate something important with the history of France and it's presence in current events." Adrien was reading the directions, but I was only half listening.