Chapter 14

On Sundays, when Marinette was a child, She never liked watching cartoons.

Rather, she loved to play in the dirt and run around her street and pretend.

She would play superhero's with her dad, and hero's always won out.

They would make their rounds through the neighborhood saving civilians left and right. All in a days work, they'd have saved half of the block.

But lunch would always roll around, and papa would always turn on the tv while they ate.

"Look, Mari, it's your favorite!" He would talk with food in his mouth and laugh at the title sequence.

'Batman' would, without fail, take her dads attention for the lunch. Until the credits rolled, the chaos outside stopped. No villains. No hero's. Just a little girl and her father watching TV and enjoying each others company.

Little Mari never had it within herself to tell Papa she absolutely despised Batman.

What a ridiculous concept. A grown man in a suit fighting crime with no identity? Who wanted all the work with no reward?

She found it entirely unrealistic.

If only she would've known what was to come.

••••••

Marinette hated Batman, but he certainly had her gratitude today.

She didn't have Chat's number.

Technically, that's not true.

She had his number, but it was through lady bug's phone. She couldn't explain that, now could she?

Calling him. Not an option.

She had no idea where he lived.

Wholly true and completely unfair. He knew where she lived. One of these days she'd have to bring that up.

Finding him at home. Not an option.

She could scour the city and look for him, but in the night that was like finding a needle in a...

You get the metaphor. Searching the city. Not an option.

Mari knew for a fact that Chat knew where she lived.

Place of residence. Check.

Chat may or may not be avoiding her house like the plague.

So there was absolutely no certainty this plan would work. Check.

But! Chat always did nightly patrols around Paris.

He would be out tonight. Check.

And Marinette had made the most sad looking, half-working Bat Signal she'd ever seen.

Fu had said to get creative, alright?

She was out of options. And she was extremely nervous.

What were the odds he'd see this crappy bat signal, anyway? And what would draw him to check on the signaling?

The odds were low, but not totally bare.

If I were patrolling the city, I would check. I would have to.

And that's the best she had. A slight inclination and nothing more than a leap of faith.

Not unlike the leap Chat had taken a week ago.

It had been a whole week. A long and miserable week, full of brutal training at the early hours of the morning with stupid old man- Fu.

"Faster, girl. If they were after you, you'd be dead." He checked his nail beds while he talked, ever interested in this sequence of events.