Chapter 19

Wren was a good dancer. He led Mari (Kat) well considering she wasn't exactly skilled in the art of ballroom escapades.

Mari wondering where Chat was, and what he would think of this.

With Wren's hands on her waist and his searching eyes.

Mari had other things on her mind. Like how a man from up the stairs had been circling the balcony, eyes flicking across the room but always returning to her.

Wren hasn't offered up much if he was working under Hawkmoth. Mari kept looking for the I work for Hawkmoth! Signs but came up empty handed.

Just when the music changed course to another melody, another man came into view.

"You won't mind just one dance, would you my lady?" It was the man that had been circling just seconds before.

How he'd gotten down here so fast, she had no idea.

She nodded but came to the conclusion that it didn't really matter what she said- this man was getting his dance.

Wren had an annoyed expression on his face covered with a smile and gave a slight bow to Mari that said I'll see you later.

Now alone with this man in a crowd full of people, Mari was thinking on overdrive.

Whoever was working under Hawkmoth, they weren't alone.

"Beautiful dress you're wearing. I think black is your color." He put his slimy hands on Mari and she fought her newfound nausea.

Really? I've always been more partial to red...

She gave him a smile that she thought might look real and started to dance.

He put his lips to her ear and spoke at a whisper.

"Do you know why we do these things? Masquerades?"

Mari really felt sick. The room was starting to feel dizzy and focusing was hard. Maybe it was nerves?

Keep it together, Mari.

"We're all pretending to be someone we're not." She answered as he swirled her around and then drew her nearer.

He tsked and offered the truth "masquerades... They allow us all to be our true selves, just for one night."

They parted as the dance required they switch partners for a moment. There was a man with glasses waiting for her. He smiled and brought her near, only to swirl her around and let her go.

Back into trouble.

"Masquerades don't allow us the truth, they let us hide and pretend." Mari couldn't help biting back.

"You don't seem a fan, then?"

She decided to play his game. She smirked and then admitted "I didn't say there was anything wrong with pretending."

"It's nice isn't it? Take us for instance, pretending to be civil with one another."

She wanted to freeze. In fact, her blood felt like it was turning to ice. Everything was moving slower and slower.

Mari started to realize something wasn't right.

She didn't feel right.

"Perhaps it's the masks, yes? They let us feel like no one is watching or seeing. They do seem like a safety blanket, I must confess. I can see why your friend likes them so much." His grip on her was painful, but she was helpless to stop it.

Whatever he'd done to her, she wasn't in control of herself. She realized it was a charm, one that allowed it's owner to control another, until the owners' request was full filled.

What had it been called? She'd studied it with master Fu before.

Dream catcher. That's what it was. It was a powdered potion that allowed a temporary victim to catch their enemy's "dream"...no matter the cost.

Hawkmoth was planning to attack tonight, but not innocent people. Not anyone else at all.

He was planning on attacking Chat. And she had walked into it blindly. Willingly.

In fact, she had walked right into their arms.

She hadn't drunken the champagne. She was so careful- how did they lace her?

She froze.

It wasn't the substances in the drink.

It was the drink.

She had held it for just a moment, but that seemed to be enough. Wren- he must have the antidote if he wasn't impacted.

She tried to take note of all of this information, but her brain wasn't under her control anymore and she was running out of time.

They hadn't seen her face. She still had her mask on. For now.

They had to have seen her enter with Chat- that's the only way they could've linked her to him.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Mari had been so incredibly stupid.

But weeks worth of training had made her strong. Good under pressure. Her instincts were on overdrive out of habit, fighting against the charm.

She wasn't sure it was a battle she could win.

The man smiled and drew her nearer, his hands low on her waist.

"My new little pet. We're going to have so much fun together. Now, here's what I want you to do for me..."