Chapter 20

Approximately 67.75 million people live in France.

Out of those 67.75, 2.161 million live in Paris, France.

Out of 2.161 people, a girl named Marinette was noticed by a man named Wang Fu. He was a master in his field, and he knew how to spot potential.

And boy, was Marinette full of it.

She moved with purpose, with passion, and with pride. And Master Fu noticed.

2.161 million people live in Paris, France.

But man, Mari shined apart like the northern star.

He first saw her walking- no running- to the train station. Again, she moved with purpose.

She spoke hurriedly to her friend (Alya), with passion.

And she blatantly tried not to notice the boy across the train, with blond hair and eyes that spoke for themselves. Alas, she was indeed full of pride.

2.161 million people lived in Paris, France.

And Master Fu found his two successors on the same day, on the same train.

The pair were on opposite sides of the train, but there was an electric pull between them.

They pretended not to notice, but Master Fu did.

It takes certain factors to make a good team. It takes trust and time. Both of these things master Fu did not have a lot of.

Adrian Agreste avoided Marinette like the plague. He avoided looking her way, going near her, and speaking to her.

Unless you were Master Fu, and you could see Adrian could only be so accurately avoiding Marinette if he was acutely aware of her presence. If you weren't looking for it, you would miss it. It was as if it were against his will, like clockwork.

And she avoided him, too. Until she couldn't. Until that electric pull demanded release. Until their eyes met, and they were strangers once more.

If Marinette moved with purpose, passion, and pride, Adrian moved with anything but.

He moved without because he simply didn't have the capacity to move with anything. Indeed, Adrian seemed to be running from something. He had shadows all around him, swarming and haunting.

Quite the antithesis to the northern star across the way.

With Marinette, Wang Fu saw limitless potential.

With Adrian, he saw... something tainted, with the capacity to change the world not in spite of his shadows, but because of them.

Indeed, if Marinette was the creator, Adrian would be the destroyer. The two would work together in their own perfect cacophony, as one couldn't exist without the other.

As the stars don't shine without their night.

The point is,  approximately 67.75 million people live in France.

And Marinette was chosen for a reason.

And Adrian was chosen for a reason.

And no matter how long the two tried to deny it, the electric pull demanded to be acknowledged.

••••••

It took time and trust to build a partnership.

Mari was running out of time, but she trusted Chat with her life.

She was terrified that he trusted her with his.

But Master Fu had chosen Mari for a reason.

She kept repeating that phrase as she fought for control over her own mind.

••••••

Hello all! I hope you liked a little glimpse into how Mari and Adrian were chosen! I figured this was much needed after the last chapter. Let me know what y'all think:)