Chapter 13

Marinette couldn't sleep.

She was much too busy cursing a certain man's name over and over.

And over.

As if that would bring any resolution to her much disturbed feelings.

His stupid face and his stupid smile.

Her blood was boiling and skin writhing at his simple words.

Let's get you home.

When his smile had been so big.

And he had finally- really- been at ease.

And they had just been two people.

Just two people on one perfect night.

She huffed and turned over once more.

She had Chat all over her. He was all over her skin, particularly the space where her jawline met her cheeks.

Where he had dared to touch.

She pushed the covers off and tried flipping once more.

He was all over her lips, too.

And he hadn't even touched them. But his stupid green eyes had captured them and now they were his, seemingly.

Her everything had 'Chat' labeled all over and she hated it.

Part of her wondered if she hated him, too.

That was the only reasonable explanation.

Turning in the bed again, then.

Marinette was suddenly very grateful she had such a private nook in the house.

When she'd turned ten times more she couldn't handle it and leapt out of bed. If his hands were all over her, she'd wash them off.

Only she'd already tried that when she'd gotten home. When a suddenly-very-quiet-Chat had brought her home and didn't ask any questions nor offer any explanations of the night's festivities.

He hadn't been rude or cold, but there was suddenly a distance that she despised. He would never be mean. She wondered if it would have even been possible for him. She didn't think so.

But the distance was worse.

All for the best.

He had wondered if...

And he had certainly gotten his answer.

The water was boiling, and the room looked like a sauna.

Mari scrubbed her skin like there was a layer to get off. She soaped twice, and let the hot water turn her skin pink.

She turned the water off and let the sudden chill consume her.

It was nice.

Everything is totally and completely fine.

Back to the bed, then.

Only this just repeated the cycle and Mari had lost her patience.

She begrudgingly turned over and wondered how on earth things had gotten so completely and royally screwed.

••••••••

For school, Marinette sported some sweat pants and an oversized sweatshirt.

This was fashion.

She topped it off with some impeccable socks and sandals and flung her bag over her shoulders before rushing out the door.