Chapter 3

Olive's Point of View

After tucking Melody in for the night, I decided to curl up on the couch with a glass of wine and my book. I was just getting into it when my phone went off. I picked it up to see a message from an unknown number. I decided to open it and a smile bloomed over my face.

Reid: Hey Olive, it's Reid. Just wanted to see if you were doing okay after today.

That was so sweet of him to check in on me. He was such a nice guy. I sighed, I wanted nothing more than to have him sitting beside me. I would lean against him as we both read our books. Sneaking kisses. No, focus Olive. He just is being nice. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Olive: Hi! I'm doing much better. Melody went to bed early so I'm treating myself to some wine while I read.

Probably more information than I needed to put in, but I didn't know how to stop myself. I didn't even have time to put my phone down when another text came in.

Reid: Sounds like a nice night. What are you reading?

Olive: Good Omens

Reid: Didn't they make that into a tv show?

Olive: Yes but I'm trying to finish the book before I watch it.

Reid: Good idea. So how is the book?

Olive: Really funny. I highly recommend it.

Reid: I'll have to check it out then.

Olive: You should. So what are you up to?

Reid: Just enjoying the quiet while it lasts.

I chuckled slightly. I took a long sip of my wine as I contemplated what to respond with when my phone went off again. I guess someone isn't afraid to double text.

Reid: I really liked meeting you today. I'm sorry the circumstances couldn't be better. I'm having a little housewarming thing next Saturday if you'd like to come?

I let out a little squeal as I sat up. He was inviting me to his housewarming party! So, he wanted to be friends. I know I don't have a shot, but if we were friends, I could still enjoy the eye candy from a distance. Plus, I liked spending time with him.

Olive: Yes I'd love to. Do you want to move the playdate to this Friday night then? Just so you have time to set up.

I'll admit I just wanted to see him again sooner than two weeks from now. Even if I had to spend Saturday with my ex, hanging out with Reid would probably put me in a better mood. I would like to see him tomorrow but with kids, it can be hard to do stuff with short notice.

Reid: That works! I'll see you then.

Suddenly Friday can't come fast enough. I don't think I've ever been so excited for a playdate in my life.

*****

When Friday came, I found myself cleaning the house while I waited for Reid to come over with Will. I'll admit that I wasn't in the best mood. My asshole ex had cancelled his visitation with Melody because 'something came up'. I bet it was just the flavour of the month. He sees his daughter for a few hours every two weeks. If something comes up, fucking reschedule! Is it that hard? I shoved Melody's toys away with a bit more force than needed before just sitting on the floor. I'm tired of this stupid back and forth with him. I just want my daughter to be happy.

"Mama, are you going to wear that?" Melody asked as she came to sit beside me. I smiled so she wouldn't catch on that I was mad.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I asked keeping my tone light and jovial.