Chapter 16

Olive's Point of View

It was officially my birthday and I was not ready for it. Melody had gotten her cast off the day before, so she went with Reid and Will to the pool this morning. I offered to go with them, but Reid suggested I should enjoy a lazy Saturday. I wasn't complaining. I had my coffee in one hand as I sat at my piano. It was as good a time as any to get some songwriting in. The piano is definitely my favourite instrument. I blame a childhood of listening to Elton John and Supertramp.

I was following Reid's suggestion and was trying to write a song for Disaster's Calling. It was surprisingly fun pretending to be someone else. Not to mention Rebecca had an incredible range I could play with. I already had a melody in my head for a while, but I was trying to figure out what key would be best for Rebecca. I wanted to hit her perfect sweet spot, where the low notes were still smooth and her belt was powerful.

It took a bit, but I think I eventually found it. I made a few notes in my songwriting journal before I went to the kitchen to refill my coffee. It was strange having an empty house to myself. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a morning alone. I decided to treat myself to a nice soak in the tub. I started the water, added some bubble bath, put some soft music on my blue tooth speaker, grabbed my book and got ready to relax. I guess there were some upsides to my birthday.

After a really nice relaxing bath, I got a text from Reid said they should be back around twelve-thirty with lunch. That gave me another hour to myself, so I decided to paint my toes and fingernails. I chose lilac, my favourite colour, and played some soft classic rock. I could feel my usual birthday stress start to disappear.

I was sitting on the couch with my book when Reid came home with the kids. Melody and Will were immediately rushing over to give me huge hugs and birthday wishes. I hugged the two of them close and gave them both a kiss on the cheek. I looked up to see Reid had his arms full with present bags and take-out containers. I stood up and went over to him, "Reid, you didn't have to do all this."

"I know, but I wanted to make sure you had a good birthday." He said as he dropped everything off at the table. He pulled me in close and looked down at me with so much love it made my heart swell, "Happy birthday Oli."

"Thank you Reid." I gave him a quick kiss before I sat down at the table with the kids. For the first time, I think I was starting to not dread my birthday.

Reid reached into the takeout bag with a proud smile on his face, "Okay, so I went to your favourite restaurant and got your favourite pulled pork tacos. They had a new grilled peach salsa so I got some of it for you to try." He gave all of us our meals and we all sat down. "Also we all got pretty much ready for tonight at my place, we're just waiting to get changed until after lunch in case of spills."

"But we're doing presents before we leave right?" Will asked looking at his dad.

"Yes we are." Reid nodded.

"You really didn't have to get me presents. I'm happy just spending time with my family." I didn't miss the happy smile on Reid's face when I called them my family. I dug into my delicious lunch surrounded by my favourite people on earth. I couldn't be happier.

When lunch was over, Melody could barely wait until the plates were cleared before she was handing me her present. "I picked it out myself!" She announced as she sat back in her seat.

"Thank you so much Melody." I pulled out the tissue paper and pulled out a beautiful pink floral sundress. It absolutely screamed Melody, but that just made me love it more. "It's beautiful."

"Now you can look like a princess tonight!"

"Open mine Olive!" Will said pushing his present towards me. I carefully folded the dress before I opened up Will's present. It was a beautiful white knit oversized cardigan. "You're always cold so now you can be warm!"