Chapter 8

Our make-your-own pizza night was a peek at the life I'd always wanted. There was so much joy and laughter in Reid's house. He made the dough from scratch and showed off his pizza tossing skills. He'd explained that while he was working in Africa, he'd made friends with an Italian couple. When he had some time off between his charitable adventures, he'd visit them in Italy. They taught him all about making pizza, pasta, sauces and a number of desserts.

He made sure the entire night was fun for the kids. Making them each a small personal pizza they could decorate with whatever toppings they'd like. Reid and I shared an incredible pizza with prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and arugula. I thought I was a good cook, but I was nothing compared to Reid.

The kids watched a movie while the two of us cleaned the kitchen. We had more than a few stolen kisses. We shared a tiramisu with two glasses of Bailey's on ice. The kids got a cookie each while they watched their movie so we could have a semi-romantic moment. I let myself enjoy it.

When the time came to leave, we did sneak a long, passionate kiss. The kind of kiss that leaves you weak in the knees. I don't think I'll ever forget the way he looked at me afterwards. There was this passion in his eyes that lit my every nerve alive. "I don't want to let you go." He whispered.

"I know, but we have to. The kids have school tomorrow."

"Always the responsible one huh." He smiled, pressing another small kiss to my lips.

"Someone has to be." I pulled myself out of his arms with a grin. He gave my ass a pinch as I turned the corner, making me squeak. That, of course, drew the attention of the kids.

"What's wrong Mama?" Melody asked.

"Nothing. Just stepped on something." I said a bit too quickly as Reid snickered behind me like a little kid. "Come on, it's time to get you home."

"Do we have to?" Melody whined as she stuck her bottom lip out. Adorable, but not going to work this time.

"Come on Missy. Don't fight me on this. Say goodbye to Will and Reid." We packed up and said our goodbyes. Both Reid and Will gave me a hug goodbye. Reid gave me a tight squeeze before he let go. When I left, I felt sadness wash over me. I wanted nothing more than to spend my night with Reid, but I had to be responsible. I had to put my own desires aside and focus on the kids.

The rest of the week was hectic to say the least. Reid and I did manage to get together for a lunch date on Thursday. It was quick, but it was nice to spend time together without the kids. On Friday I was treated to a bouquet of flowers on my desk when I arrived. He'd signed the card with his name in a cloud, just like he had done on Melody's cast. It was a cute touch. I couldn't stop staring at them all day. No one had ever just sent me flowers for no reason before. Not unless there was a special occasion and even then, they were rare.

I knew I should protect my heart, but my resolve was disappearing with every second that passed. With every passing moment, I found myself picturing a life with Reid. Not just with Reid, but with Will and Melody. The four of us as a family. It was a happy picture. One I don't think I'll be able to forget.

So that left me nervous and drumming my fingers on my steering wheel as I drove to Reid's for his housewarming party. A bunch of what-ifs were running through my mind. What if they didn't like me? What if I embarrass myself? What if I get caught kissing Reid? What if Melody doesn't like his family? What if this entire thing goes up in flames? Luckily, I had Melody there to distract me. "Are there going to be other kids or just Will and me?"

"I'm not sure." I answered, "Would you be okay if it's just the two of you?"

"Yep!" She answered in her brightest voice, "Will's awesome. He would be an awesome brother. We even play together at school even though most boys are yucky. He's not as yucky. All the girls in my class agree." I found myself chuckling under my breath at her hints. Melody hadn't given up on Reid and I. She just hadn't learned how to be subtle in her hints yet. It was adorable.