Chapter 12

I looked up at Reid overwhelmed at how amazing he was. He was perfect in every way. "How did I get so lucky?" I asked.

"I'm the lucky one. I've never felt anything like this before. You're just incredible." He led me over to the front porch and sat on the stairs watching as Will and Melody attempted to play catch. It was more like fetch with Melody's broken arm. "I could really see the four of us being a family someday." He said.

I let my head rest on his shoulder. I could see it too. Well, as long as Brian doesn't get his way. "Brian said he's going to try to get joint custody of Melody, but I have a sinking feeling that he's going to try for full custody."

"What? Why would he want to do that? He doesn't seem to want to spend time with her. He didn't even show up at the hospital when she broke her arm!" Reid was outraged. I don't think I've ever seen him so worked up before.

"Because he's an ass. He got really jealous when Melody mentioned you." I could feel myself starting to get worked up again. Reid immediately wrapped his arm around me. "I'm so scared. I can't afford to get a good lawyer and he's friends with so many. If I have to take this to court, I don't know how I'm going to win." 

"Don't worry about a thing. I happen to be friends with one of the best lawyers in town." He said giving me a squeeze, "How about we order pizza and I'll give him a call?"

"Really? We can still go out to dinner if you want." I felt bad. He was so excited about going to dinner together.

"Let's get you some peace of mind first. We can go out to dinner tomorrow, or any time."

"I- um- thank you." I... I almost said I love you. Thank God I stopped myself. It is way too soon to say I love you. I'm just being overly emotional right now. That's it. Do I love him? Probably. Is it too soon? Probably. I feel like I'm all over the place today. I just need to keep my emotions under control right now.

We went inside and Will and Melody went to Melody's room to play. Reid and I went to the dining room, putting in an order for pizza before Reid dialled his lawyer friend, Andrew. "Hey Reid. How's it going?" He asked.

"It's going. I have you on speakerphone with my girlfriend Olive."

"Hi," I said.

"Hey, nice to put a voice to a name. Rebecca told me all about you, well, she told Mel and Mel told me." Andrew said.

"So Andrew, I wish this was a social call but we might need your services," Reid said.

"Alright. Hit me."

I told Andrew everything about my situation with Brian. I told him about when I found him with Blythe while Melody cried, how he has repeatedly cancelled visits, how he didn't show up when Melody broke her arm then about my visit with him today. Reid sat there tense as I spoke. When I described how Brian had grabbed my arm Reid inhaled sharply, his eyes flicking down to my arm. Bruises were starting to form where Brian's fingers dug into my arm. "Andrew, she has bruises."

"Okay, take a picture. It is important we document everything going forwards. Make sure any communication with him is done via texts or email. Then we can be sure he doesn't try anything down the line. With everything that you've told me, it seems likely he is going to go for full custody. I will make sure he doesn't." Andrew said.

"Okay. Have you done a lot of stuff like this before?" I asked.

"It is not my specialty, but I do have experts in family law that work for me. With my team on your case, we will make sure your daughter stays with you."

I felt a bit of panic build up. "I can't afford that. I can barely afford one lawyer right now."

"I'm not charging you for any of this. You just focus on your little girl."