Chapter 27

10 Months Later

Olive's Point of View

I literally could not believe I was standing in the wings of such a giant stage. I was waiting with all the members of Disaster's Calling as well as Kim, Reid, Jack, Daisy, Tessa, Peter, and Margot. Yes Margot, Tessa's friend who I thought was never going to settle down. She and Adam were surprisingly great together and have been dating for almost two years now.

Anyway, Disaster's Calling were just starting their tour for their newest album, which was co-written by myself. I still couldn't believe the success they'd found with it. I was even in the running for a Grammy for my work. I have even been able to quit my old job to work with the label as a full-time songwriter. I also started taking classes to learn more about mixing and producing songs. My hope is that one day I can start working as a producer, but for now I am happy writing songs. It has allowed me a flexibility to be with my family that I could never have expected. I loved it.

I felt an arm go around my shoulder and looked up to see Rebecca standing next to me. "You sure I can't convince you to go out there with us?"

I just laughed, "I'm happy right here."

"If you change your mind, don't hesitate to just come right out. We're happy to have you." The lights went down and suddenly Rebecca's arm left my shoulders as the band silently made their way onto the stage.

The cheers of the audience filled my ears as I watched from the side. The electricity in the air made the hairs on my arms stand up. Reid's hand found mine, but I couldn't take my eyes off the stage as the sound of guitar and drums filled the arena. The cheers raised to deafening levels as the lights went up and Rebecca went to the microphone and started singing.

I danced with everyone as they played through their hits. It was a night of pure euphoria. The band was on fire, but that was nothing new. They were professionals. It didn't mean they didn't have fun; you could feel the joy they had when they were performing. It was infectious.

There was a lull in the music where Rebecca looked over at us with a wink. She turned back to the audience with a smile playing on her lips. "How y'all doing tonight?" She asked to the chorus of cheers. "That's what I like to hear! Now, not sure if you know this but we got the chance to work with one of the most talented musicians I've ever met on our newest album. She is incredible and just so happens to be my sister-in-law."

My jaw dropped as Rebecca looked over at me with her signature smirk. "Anyway, she wrote this next song all by herself. So please, give her a round of applause cause she's sitting backstage right now." The crowd started cheering so loud I couldn't believe it. They were cheering for me. My work. My heart was absolutely pounding in my chest. I looked to my side and my eyes met Reid's. His lips turned up as his eyebrow raised and he nodded his head towards the stage. A smile came to my lips as I looked back out to the stage and did something I never thought I'd do.

I walked out on stage.

Rebecca's face lit up as she turned back to the crowd. "Give it up for the legendary Olive Wilson!" The crowd cheered as Rebecca came over to give me a hug. "You sing the lead melody and I'll back you up. You're going to kill it." She said as she grabbed her guitar and slung it over her shoulder. She had me step up to her microphone and I stared out at the crowd. Holy shit. I could not believe I was going to perform in front of all those people. I closed my eyes and began to shut out the noise from the crowd. You can do it Olive. The band started playing and my eyes flew open. A smile played on my lips as I stepped up and began to sing for the stadium filled with people.

(Lavender Bones by Stand Atlantic)

Sick of having empty habits
Leading to the selfish havoc
I'm lonely in my own bones
You're unweaving where you stand
Stitch me into all your plans
Just like a cherry stone