twenty three

I haven't been home since the night we lost Sarah and John B. There's no way I can be in the same house as my dad and brother right now. I've been staying at the chateau most days and Topper's since his mom went on a business trip a few days ago. I feel like a part of me is missing since we lost Sarah and John B. They never even found the bodies so they never had funerals. And it just feels like I'm never going to get closure.

I sit in Topper's car outside of school. It's our first day back and I know everyone is going to be talking about me. I already didn't belong before, but now that everyone thinks John B is a murderer things are just going to be worse.

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Topper asks.

I nod my head. "I've got to face them sometime." Topper nods. I take a deep breath. "It's now or never."

As Topper and I get out of the car Topper grabs my hand. Everyone starts to whisper as we walk by.

"It's her."

"There she is."

"I wasn't sure she'd even show up."

"Heard she got arrested."

"That wouldn't surprise me."

"Think she has something to do with it?"

"Just ignore them," Topper tells me.

"Sure. Easy. Just ignore everyone in the school staring at me and talking about me like I'm the murderer," I remark.

Topper squeezes my hand. "I can take you back to my place if you're not ready."

I shake my head. "I can handle it. Kooks bad mouthing me is nothing new."

I sit next to Topper in math. Even though we're in class I still feel like everyone is watching me. My phone goes off and I curse myself for forgetting to turn off the ringer

"Whose phone was that?" Ms Wilson asks. No one answers him. "Nobody? You will be tested. Now to recap..."

I check my phone and see a text from an unknown number. When I open it I see a picture of John B and Sarah.

"Oh my god," I state.

Without saying a word I get up and rush towards the door.

"Ms Cameron!" I don't stop. "Ms Cameron!"

I rush down the hallway.

"Ash! Ashlynn!" I stop and see Topper chasing after me. "What happened?"

I hold up my phone with the picture on it.

"Holy shit," Topper says.

We walk out of the school into the courtyard.

"I mean, is that even possible?" I ask. "I mean Shoupe said, they didn't make it. He said that."

I sit down on one of the tables and Topper sits down next to me. The next text is Kie asking if this is real.

Is JJ there? Is the message.

I'm here Bree JJ tells him.

Did you pimp my shortboard? Is the reply.

I laugh. "It's him. It's definitely him." I hug Topper. "It's him." I pull away and read the next text. " Laying super low in Nassau."

"How the hell did they get to the Bahamas?" Topper asks.

"You can't kill a Pogue, Babe," I joke.

Can you clear my name? Wanna come home. The next text says.

Hell, yeah, well clear your name, boy, JJ assures.