twenty one

We head to the Wreck. It's the last place anyone is going to look for us. Everyone settles in for the night lying down in various booths.

I jolt up straight when I hear someone trying to open the door. I look around and see JJ slowly walking over towards the door. He looks out the window and sighs in relief.

"It's Topper," JJ tells us.

I jump up from the booth and run over to the door. I open the door and see Topper. "Hi. What are you..." Topper wraps me in a tight hug. "I thought I'd never see you again." I pull away and take his face in my hands. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah, are you?" Topper asks. I kiss him. "You okay?"

I nod. "I am now." I look at Topper confused. "What are you doing here?"

"It's a long story but I found Sarah and John B..." Topper starts.

I cut him off, "Are they alright?"

"Yeah. They almost got pinched. They were at the old church. Rafe and Kelce set the church on fire with them in it. I helped Sarah and John B get away," Topper explains.

I pull him into a hug holding onto him like he might slip away any moment. "Thank you for helping them."

"I know what they mean to you, Ash. Your sister and John B needed help and there was no way I was gonna let them burn to death or let John B get hauled in for a murder he didn't commit," Topper tells me.

"God I love you," I tell him.

"I love you too," Topper tells me.

Topper leans in and kisses me sweetly. After a moment I pull away and rest my forehead on his.

I have a hard time sleeping. I can't get my mind off of John B and Sarah. John B is out there somewhere being hunted by the cops for something he didn't do. He just learned his dad is actually dead and now he is framed for murder. Sarah is out there with him because she loves him. I've never seen my sister love someone the way she loves John B. I know she'll do anything she can to help him.

I sit in a booth next to Topper. Cop cars have been going by all morning. Sirens have been blaring nonstop. I lean on Topper and look at him slightly. "We follow this through to the end, but we have to be careful."

Topper nods his head. "I'm not gonna let anything happen to you."

"Everyone on this island is gunning for John B if they haven't already got him," I state.

Pope gets and walks over towards JJ who is standing in the doorway.

"He's pinched for sure, man," JJ states.

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him," Pope insists.

"Let's hope," JJ offers.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too," Kie states.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B," Pope states.

"So, find him before they do?" I say. Pope grabs a set of keys from the table. "Pope?"

He starts to walk away. "I'm gonna get gas for the boat."

"Hey, you be careful. Okay?" Kie tells him.

Pope ignores her and turns to JJ. "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

He walks out the door and Kie follows after him. "Okay, what is your problem?"

"No problem, Officer. I'm just doing my job," Pope states as he gets on the motorbike.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings," Kie states.