thirty four

The bonfire, an Outer Banks tradition. It was the same weekend every year. Everyone went. And I mean everyone. After finding a fortune and losing it and thinking that John B and Sarah were dead, and now my dad actually being dead it feels good to return to some normalcy.

Within a minute of getting to the bonfire I've got a beer in hand. Kie and Pope have wandered off leaving me with Topper, JJ, and John B. John B is talking about his break up with Sarah.

"She's like, 'That's it.'" John B says.

"I know. But, dude, her father blew up right in front of her. Just give her a minute, all right?" JJ tells him. "In the meantime, shotgun right now." JJ grabs a can of beer. "Like old days..."

"Hey, derelicts!" Yvonne shouts as she tosses a beer can at us.

"Hey, there she is. That's you." JJ wraps his arms around Topper and I. "We're out of here. Goodnight."

I shrug his arm off me. "Nah. You're on your own."

"Where you two going?" JJ asks.

I grab Topper's hand. "To take my mind off of things."

Topper and I start to drink, maybe a little too much. But I really don't want to keep my mind clear right now. I smile as I wrap my arms around Tops neck. He places his hand on my hips.

"Thank you for coming with me," I tell him.

Topper smiles. "I should be the one thanking you."

I shake my head. "No. You're taking my mind off of everything and I'm grateful."

"I told you I would take care of you," Topper reminds me.

"And I'm grateful for that," I tell him. I pull him towards me into a kiss. After a moment I pull away. "I'm going to find Kie."

Topper makes a face. "You really just gonna walk off on me?"

I smile as I start to walk away. "I'll find you later."

I find Kie and she hands me a blunt.

"Where have you been?" Kie asks.

"With Topper," I tell her.

"Did you see Sarah is here?" Kie asks. I notice her across the way. "With Kelce."

The next thing I know John B, Sarah, Kelce, and Yvonne are fighting.

"Good idea. You should go, Sarah," Yvonne tells her.

"Did I ask you?" Sarah questions.

"You don't own everything, princess. You guys aren't even together," Yvonne tells her.

"Why are you still talking?" Sarah asks.

"Relax!" Kelce tells Yvonne. "Have a little respect! Her dad just died!"

"Shut up, Kook! Back off!" Yvonne shoves Kelce.

"What's your problem?" Kelce asks.

"Respect?" Yvonne questions.

Kelce and Yvonne continue to argue.

"Did... did I mean anything to you? Did you... did you tell her?" Sarah asks John B.

"You wanna start shit right now?" Kelce asks John B.

"Do I wanna start some shit?" John B asks.

Everyone circles around them knowing shit is going to pop off.

"Come on, John B. Kick his ass!"

Sarah shoves John B. "Just get out! Just go!"

"I'll beat your ass," Kelce threatens.