one

We're the Pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time. When we're not working or surfing the Pogues can be found doing what we love most... drinking. Today our primo spot is a house being built in the rich part of town.

John B is standing on the roof beer can in hand, balancing on one foot.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" Pope comments. "I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival."

"Hm." John B sticks his finger in his mouth before holding it up in the wind. "Should I do it?"

"Dude, do a backflip," I joke. "It'll be sick."

"Yeah, you should jump." Pope holds up a drill. "I'll shoot you on the way down.

"You'll shoot me?" John B questions as he points a finger gun at Pope. "Pow."

"Yep," Pope tells him.

Kie walks out of the house. "They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers."

"Of course," I state.

"Why wouldn't they?" JJ remarks.

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kie says.

"I can't have cold towels," JJ states.

Kie looks up at John B. "Can you please not kill yourself?"

"Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one," JJ warns.

"Whoa!" John B loses his balance and almost falls. Dropping his beer in the process. "Oh, shit."

JJ shakes his head. "Of course you did."

"JB, always so smooth," I tease.

"A-plus," JJ remarks.

John B groans. "Nooo."

"Dumbass," Kie taunts.

"Hey, uh, security's here," Pope warns. He gestures with his hand. "Let's wrap it up."

"Boys are early today," JJ states.

"Humpty Dumpty, let's roll," Pope shouts.

"Let's go, boys," I tell them.

"Gary, is that you?" JJ taunts.

"Get down," Pope instructs.

"It's me. Gary, good to see you, man!" JJ shouts as he climbs down from the scaffolding.

John B follows JJ down the scaffolding. "Is it time?"

"You're asking for it," I tease JJ.

I can hear Gary shouting, "JJ!"

One after the other we all run through the unfinished house towards the steps down to the garage. We all laugh and shout. As we get to the bottom of the stairs the security guards are already there waiting for us.

"Hey, stop!" Gary shouts.

Pope, JJ, and I run one way as Kie and John B run the other trying to get away from the security guards. It's the same routine as always.

"Get 'em! They're comin' your way!" Gary shouts.

One of the guards grabs JJ. "I got him!"

JJ slips from the guy's grip. "Not much of a hugger!"

"They're going out front!" a guard shouts.

I keep running and jump over the fence Pope and JJ on my tail.

"Go, Ash! Go! Go, go, go, go, go, go!" Pope shouts. He groans as he hits the ground behind me.

I try not to laugh. "Pope come on," I tease.

"Get up, Pope, fatso's coming," JJ says as he hits Pope on the back.

The guard can't make it over the fence. "Hey! Come here, you little pricks!"

John B honks the horn on his van. "Bus is leaving!"

Kie shouts, "Come on, boys and Ash! Whoo!"

I jump in the back of the van followed by JJ and Pope. I sigh deeply before laughing again.

"Hey, hey! Hey! Hey!" Gary shouts as he chases after the van.

"Check out Gary, gunnin' for a raise," Pope taunts.

"Come on, Gary!" JJ shouts.

"Wait. Slow down." JJ hangs out of the van.

"Hey!" Gary shouts.

"You're gonna give him a heart attack," I warn.

"You're so close! You can do it. There you go." JJ throws a beer at Gary. "They don't pay you enough, bro."

I pull JJ back in the van. "JJ, stop." I chuckle. "Stop."

He smiles at me. "Oh, come on. That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished."

I laugh as JJ swings his arm around me. We start on the drive back home laughing and joking.

The Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island. All right. This is Figure Eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. And then, this is the south side or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... drumroll, please... the Pogues. That's us. Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. Lowest member of the food chain. Okay. So, the downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. But the upside of Pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want. We surf, party, drink, and just have a good time.

There's JJ, tied for the title of being my best friend. He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. Best surfer I know. Just don't tell him I said that. Mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat.

The only other girl in our group is Kiara, or Kie, as we call her. When not saving turtles, listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why, though. So, she's a rich kid, actually. Well we both are. We each have a foot in both worlds. Her family owns The Wreck, this Outer Banks institution. Total cash cow with the tourists. I know her parents are fond of me. They think of me as a good Kook role model. If they only knew the truth. They aren't too fond of the guys. Maybe it's the fact that they all have a thing for her.

Next is Pope, the brains of the operation... finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. And the smartest person I know. Wants to be a coroner so he's a little bit of a weirdo. His father's this legendary character, Heyward. Anything you wanted on the island, Heyward could get for you. Now, I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't matter. He was a Pogue, just like the rest of us.

The next member of our crew is John B. He's kind of our unofficial leader and the other holder of the title of being my best friend. He lives in an old fish shack on the marsh, the Château, as his dad used to call it. His dad disappeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck. Who disappears at sea these days? His mom hasn't been around since he was three. His Uncle T is supposed to be his legal guardian but he hasn't seen him in three months. So right now it's just John B and us.

My name is Ashlynn Cameron. My dad is Ward Cameron, the rich real estate investor. He's married to Rose. She may be my stepmother but I'm not too fond of her. My older brother Rafe is a total drug addict and a complete mess. My sister Sarah and I are only ten months apart, meaning we're in the same grade at school. My dad and Rose had a daughter after they got married, Wheezie, completing our family. I never lived in the cut but I was always more interested in that side of the island. John B and JJ welcomed me with open arms in the fourth grade after proving I was just as tough as either of them. Along the way Pope came into the group and I introduced them to Kie. Our little crew became my family. My dad and Rose have tried to get me to cut them out of my life but I won't. I know no matter what the crew is always gonna be there for me.