nineteen

Pope has the rig set up in a tree to test if it will work to get the gold up from the well. Kie is in the bucket as the winch lifts it up and down.

"How's it feeling?" Pope asks.

"Feels good," Kie tells him.

"Alright I'm taking you down," Pope tells her.

Kie nods. "Okay.

"John B pullin' a Houdini," JJ states.

"Yeah, where is he?" I ask.

"I got my scholarship interview tomorrow morning. We gotta get this done," Pope tells us.

"Speak of the devil. Hey!" JJ says as John B walks into the backyard. "Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything."

"No, he did not. I did that," Pope tells him.

"Hey, John B," Kie says.

John B ignores all of us and walks into the house.

"Hey," I call after him.

"Okay, that's it?" JJ asks.

"Uh... what's that all about?" Pope asks.

"I was gonna ask you the same question," I tell him.

We follow John B into the house. He's moving stuff around definitely looking for something.

"You all right, man? What... what's up?" Pope asks.

John B ignores him and keeps rummaging through the house.

"What are you looking for?" I ask.

"Bro, what's going on?" JJ asks. John B finds the gun hidden in the couch. JJ steps towards him. "John B, what do you need the gun for man?" JJ tries to grab John B and stop him. "Talk to us!"

John B throws JJ down on the pull out couch.

"John B, chill!" Kie shouts. Pope tries to stop John B from going into the kitchen. "What are you doing?"

John B throws Pope out of the way. "What, are you JJ now?"

"Shi... Are you okay?" Kie asks Pope.

I chase after John B. "John B, what the hell are you doing?" Outside John B gets on the dirt bike. "John B, what the hell?"

John B looks right at me. "Ward knows about the gold. He killed my dad." He drives off without another word.

"What?" I ask.

Kie runs after him. "John B!"

"Shit!" JJ shouts.

Kie throws her arms up in frustration. "What are we gonna do now?"

I turn to face the rest. "What does he mean Ward killed his dad?" Everyone looks at me not knowing what to say. "What does he mean Ward killed his dead?" I shout. Again no one answers me. I take off towards my car.

"Ash!" JJ shouts.

I ignore him and get in my car.

"Come back!" Pope shouts.

I ignore all of their shouts as I drive back to Tannyhill. I haven't been home since yesterday. I spent the night at John B's with the crew.

I don't know what is going on and I really don't want my Dad to see me. I sneak into the house and up to Sarah's room. I don't bother to knock as I walk in.

Sarah jumps up from the bed. "Ash." She rushes over to pull me into a hug. "Where have you been? John B showed up with a gun. He was talking about the gold and how Dad was working with Big John to find it. Then he said that our dad killed his dad."