thirty two

We head into town. Kie, Sarah, and I head into a store to get a drink while Topper, JJ, and John B stay in the van.

"I can't ignore it anymore. What the hell happened with y'all's relationships?" I question.

"I told Pope I just wanted to be friends," Kie tells us.

"That's why he's acting all butthurt?" I ask.

Kie nods. "Yeah."

I turn to Sarah. "And you?"

"I don't know. I know he's still weird about what Ward did. I can't expect him to just get over it, but..." Sarah trails off. She shakes her head. "I don't know. We're just off."

"Tell me about it. All of this crazy shit's happening, and Pope's giving me the silent treatment for not being in love with him," Kie says. "

"And we're the dramatic ones," Sarah remarks.

"Sure," Kie says with a laugh.

Sarah turns to me. "You and Topper seem better than ever."

I smile slightly. "Is it strange to say that since Rafe tried to kill me we have been?"

"I mean almost dying puts things into perspective," Kie tells me.

Sarah nods her head. "I mean all three of us have almost died in the past week. You'd think our boyfriends would give us a break."

We head back to the nursing home. Pope is waiting outside for us.

"There he is," JJ says.

Pope sighs as he gets in the van.

"So, how'd it go?" John B asks.

"Shit just got way more personal," Pope tells us.

We head to the docks to regroup. That's when Pope drops the bomb that the reason the key is in his family is because he's related to Denmark Tanny.

"I still can't believe that you're related to Denmark Tanny," John B confesses.

JJ nods. "Uh-huh."

"Are we in the presence of a royal?" John B teases.

"A king?" JJ asks. He starts in a British accent, "We shall crown him. All hail the lord of Tannyhill! We're not worthy!"

We all pretend to bow down to him.

"Everybody relax. Can we relax, please?" Pope tells us.

"Relocate the Cat's Ass, question mark?" Sarah asks.

"I'm with that," JJ tells her.

"How soon can we move in?" Kie asks.

"'Cause I don't have a place to stay," JJ states.

"Me either. Bunk beds?" Kie asks.

"Bunk beds. Cheers to that," JJ tells her.

"I just keep thinking about the letter, the one that Limbrey sent," Pope tells us. "It had the wheat symbol on it. That must mean it has something to do with the Royal Merchant."

"Yeah. Something seems fishy," Topper says.

"But if we find that cross, we can split it like we were gonna split the gold," Pope reasons.

"Yeah. I'm with that," JJ agrees.

"And live happily ever after?" Limbrey asks. Her and her goon are walking towards us.

Pope steps towards her. "You assaulted my father."

The guy, Renfield, pushes him back.

"Oh, I didn't assault anybody," Limbrey insists.