chapter IV

John B dropped Kie off at her house before we left Figure Eight, prompting Pope to quickly jump into the passenger seat before I got a chance

John B dropped Kie off at her house before we left Figure Eight, prompting Pope to quickly jump into the passenger seat before I got a chance. As we ride the rest of the way back to the Cut in comfortable silence, I listen to the wind flying by outside the open windows. Crossing cross the small bridge that takes us over the marsh I find myself appreciating this blissful moment of peace and quiet-

"Earth to Hazel?" John B's voice shakes me from said peace and quiet.

"What?" I reply, turning to face him.

"Do you want me to drop you off at your place? Or are you staying at the Chateau tonight?" He asks.

"Uh, I'll just crash at your place since the storm is comin' in." I answer.

"Ok, cool." He nods.

"What does the storm have to do with anything?" I hear JJ's voice, now for some reason interested in mine and John B's conversation. Making me turn around and face him.

"What?" I ask in annoyance, fully hearing what he had already said.

"Why does the storm have any affect on you staying at John B's?" He reiterates.

"Because my house is somehow shittier than his and I don't want the roof to cave into my bedroom a kill me." I lie with a sarcastic smile.

Truthfully, I didn't want to go back home because Barry normally has a lot of customers in and out of the house on Saturday nights and I am too tired to deal with those junkies trying to hit on me. And no, a tropical storm will not stop them from getting their fix.

"I wouldn't get that lucky." JJ sighs sarcastically.

"Yeah, well I call the bed tonight." I say before he even thinks about it.

"What? No fair. John B." He complains to the man sitting behind the steering wheel as if he's our parent.

"What do you mean no fair? Didn't Zee take the pull out the last two times?" John B asks.

"Yes, I did." I reply from my seat on the floor, back resting on the passenger seat.

"Then it's settled." John B states.

"This is bullshit." He complains like a child that got his candy taken away.

"No, it's democracy. Right, Pope?" I turn my head towards him. He taught me some stuff about democracy last year, but honestly, I wasn't paying that much attention.