chapter VIII

After an early morning run for Barry and a long shift at The Wreck, I find my self sitting on John B's couch outside his house with Kie to my left and Pope sitting across from me

"Look, I'm callin' it off. All right." John B paces next Pope. "Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?" I ask, wondering why someone would believe a cop.

"Yes, I believe her, Zee." He looks at me.

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." JJ laughs from his seat on the table a couple feet away.

"Look, all I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out." He defends himself. "And it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"Here we go." I mumble, looking at the table in front of me.

"You know what I should have done man? I should've just let Topper drown your ass. And maybe get another swing on Hazel, huh?" JJ says, throwing a rock into the distance.

"Nah, I was about to fuck him up." I say in defense, looking up to JJ.

"Yeah, because Topper was gonna drown me?" John B asks sarcastically.

"Sure looked like it." JJ says, getting up and walking over to the rest of us.

"That's really funny." John B laughs.

"I mean have you looked in a mirror recently?" JJ continues.

"Keep going. Come on, tell me some more. Come on." John B eggs him on.

"They always win, don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!" JJ shouts the last part, punching a ball hanging from the rope above before walking away. "Goddamn!"

"Look, it's okay!" Kie tries to calm him down.

"No, it's not okay! It is not!" JJ shouts, turning back around to face us. "They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it man. I know you do." He points to John B.

"And I understand why you don't wanna go." He directs his attention at Pope. "You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you... I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?" He motions to Kie.

"But us three man, we got nothin' to lose!" JJ says, gesturing to both John B and me.

"We really don't." I agree, looking up at John B.

"Guys." John B sighs.

"And I know it didn't use to be that way for you." JJ continues.

"I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to talk about it." John B insists.

"So that's it?"

"Just get out of my way, bro." John B replies, pushing past JJ.

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan." JJ's words make me share a look with Kie.