chapter VII

Arriving back the dock, get off our boat to find it crawling with policeand paramedics

Arriving back the dock, get off our boat to find it crawling with policeand paramedics. What the hell is going on?

"Scooter? Scooter? Oh, god!" I hear woman's voice cry out as we all walk up the dock, stopping by a group of people who're watching a man being wheeled away on a gurney.

"Who's that?" I ask, watching the poor woman mourn this deceased man.

"It's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm." The blonde girl sitting next to John B speaks up. "Check out this pic I got. Dead body. Insane." She shows us her phone.

"Holy shit." I say, looking at the insensitive photo.

"Woah." John B sighs.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asks the girl.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it." She answers. Making me share a look with Kie, then Pope, who's looking especially worried.

Fuck.

Once we get back to the chateau, I plop myself down onto the couch on the screened in porch. Placing my head on the arm rest and laying my legs out onto the rest of the couch. JJ sits in the chair across from me playing with his lighter while John B stands in front of us fiddling with a beer bottle.

Kie emerges from the inside of the house and comes up to the couch I'm laying on, knocking my feet off so she can have a seat. My feet hit the ground as I sit up on the couch. Pope jogs up the few steps leading to the porch, swinging open the screen door and walking through.

"Okay. So, um... we didn't see anything. We don't know anything." Pope starts talking before sitting down in the chair next to JJ. "We need to have total and complete amnesia."

"Actually, Pope's right for once. See, I agree with you sometimes." JJ stands up moving out of his seat, walking over to rest his arm on the window seal by John B.

"Deny, deny, deny." I hum in agreement.

"Guys, we can't keep that money." Kie disagrees.

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara." JJ turns towards her.

"We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs. Otherwise, it's bad karma." She continues, ignoring JJ's comment.