chapter V

Waking up to the sound of chickens clucking, I feel the warm, humid air on my exposed legs as I lay on my stomach. I lay still for a few moments until finally deciding to pull my arms out from under my pillow and push myself up. Slowly rolling out of bed, my shirt to falls down to mid thigh length and I make my way to the door, opening it to see John B shirtless, exiting his bedroom.

"You been outside yet?" He asks.

"No, I just woke up." I reply, passing him and heading into the bathroom.

I enter the bathroom and reach to turn the light on but nothing happens. Great, no power. That probably means there's no cell service either. I look up into the mirror, seeing my puffy eyes staring back at me as I reach up to my messy bun and take out the elastic, letting my hair fall down into it's natural waves.

After running a brush through my hair I walk back out the bathroom, making my way out to the back porch where I see JJ leaning on the door frame, shirtless and sipping on a can of beer.

"Beer for breakfast? Classy." I stop walking once I'm standing next to him in the doorway.

"No pants?" He looks me up and down. "Not much classier."

I roll my eyes, jogging down the porch steps and over to the H.M.S Pogue, where John B stands clearing branches off of it.

"Whatcha thinkin'?" I look up at him.

"I'm thinkin' that storm surge pushed all the crabs out on the marsh maze. All those drum are gonna chase the crab." He answers, throwing some more twigs out the boat.

"What about the DCS? Wasn't that today?" I hear JJ making his way towards the boat.

"Nah, they're not getting on a ferry." I say, considering the extreme storm we just experienced.

"Come on, think about it. It's God tellin' us to fish." John B smiles.

"Works for me." I agree.

"Yeah. It's kind of a smuggler's boat." JJ and John B chat as we ride past some the boats docked in the marsh. I'm now dressed in only my blue bikini while sat back on the H.M.S Pogue, my drawstring shorts and spaghetti strap crop top sitting next to me.

"Good mornin'!" John B shouts to the people cleaning up their boat. I bring my hand up, giving the ladies a polite wave.

"I sure hope Guffy's boat didn't sink. He doesn't have insurance." I speak from where I'm sitting.

"Yeah." John B nods. "Hi, Miss Amy! You guys get through it?" He calls out from our boat.

"Still here!" She shouts back with a smile.

"She totally looked at me." JJ leans ove to John B.

"I saw it." He reassures JJ.

"Nah, she was definitely looking at me." I motion down to my exposed body with a smirk.

"Yeah, right." JJ scoffs.

"Dude, look at this place." John B says in awe.

"Agatha, what did you do?" I look around, pushing my sunglasses up onto my head.

"She is a crazy lady." JJ chimes in.

"We'll be cleaning this all summer." I groan.

"That is my nightmare." John B quickly replies.

We keep rolling down the marsh until we see Pope up ahead cleaning the dock, John B slows down the boat as we approach him.

"Well, look who we have here." I speak in a thick country accent, getting Pope's attention from up on the dock.