chapter XXVII

"Good news for residents of the Outer Banks

"Good news for residents of the Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area should be functional within 24 hours." My eyes stay fixed on the ceiling of the car as the sound of the radio mixed with sirens in the distance fill my ears. I lay in between JJ and John B in the backseat while JJ flicks his lighter open and close next to me.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-"

"Turn that shit off." I lift my head up off my arm to see Kie quickly clicking the radio off.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but..." JJ sighs. "Who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?" JJ questions sarcastically.

"So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B." I slip my hand in JJ's front pocket, grabbing one of his joints. "Who is... pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks." John B responds dryly as I place the joint between my lips, seeing JJ hold his lighter over for me.

"Shit." Pope rubs his temple with his fingers in stress.

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right?" JJ speaks up. "I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?"

"JJ, enough with the Mexico bullshit. Alright, Sarah's gonna bail me out." John B cuts him off.

"She did witness the whole thing." Kie turns back towards us.

"Thank you." John B sighs.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" I question, taking another hit before passing the joint to JJ.

"Not happening, bro. Okay?" JJ sits up, hovering over me slightly as he rests on his elbow. "We've gotta get you off the island."

"The ferry. It's the only way." Pope chimes im.

"Yeah, exit stage left while you still can, man. Before the entire island is on lockdown." JJ tells John B as I hear more sirens approaching.

"Guys, just get down." Kie lowers herself further down in her seat while I pull JJ to lay back down.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B." Pope says.

"Yeah. You can't stay here, man." I turn my head towards the boy who only remains staring out the window while Kie starts up the car.

"Okay. Okay. All right, no." Pope walks back up to the car with a piece of paper in his hand.

"Pope, can you act normal?" Kie quickly says.

"So, um... okay, so, bad news. The ferry's closed, and there is this." He passes the paper to Kie while getting into the driver's seat.