chapter XVIII

"Hey, guys

"Hey, guys. So, like, my dad's already gonna kill me. So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope speaks up from his seat by the fire.

"Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed." JJ says beside me, making me to think back to the pictures of the men at the station.

"You ready for this?" John B questions us.

"Yeah." I respond in anticipation.

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant." John B says.

"Oh my God." I roll my eyes.

"Here we go again with this." Pope voices his unbelief.

"No. All right, wait. Hear him out, all right?" JJ looks towards me and Pope.

"It's been here the whole time. It's on the island." John B tells us.

"Are you serious?" Kie looks towards him. "Oh my God."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope chimes in.

"I'm sure you would, Pope." John B stands up in front of the fire. "But can I please present you with my evidence, sir?"

"Proceed." Pope tells him.

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny." John B pulls out a piece of paper from his backpack.

"Who the hell's that?" I ask.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out." John B unfolds the paper.

"What?" Kie questions.

"Here you go." John B hands her the note.

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery." John B explains as Kie reads the note.

"So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom." He continues as I whistle to Kie for her to pass the paper.

"After that, he bought his farm. Drum roll, please, because that farm is..." We all drum roll on our knees quickly.

"Tannyhill Plantation." John B informs us.

"Tannyhill?" Kie repeats as I slowly read the note with Pope.

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him." John B explains.

"So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold." He approaches Kie.

"Where?" Kie whispers with a smile.

"Harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water. Except... there's no wheat." He responds.