chapter XVII

"This is disgusting

"This is disgusting." Kie speaks as she stares at herself in the mirror.

"I know. It's just horrible. I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party." Kie's mom says sarcastically, zipping up the back of my dress that Kie let me borrow.

"Thanks Mrs. Carrera." I turn around once she's finished to see her giving me a smile.

"I look like a bourgeoisie pig." Kie states.

"I don't know what that means, but you definitely look hot." I smile towards the girl, knowing how much she hates dressing up. I personally like putting on a fancy dress every year, wearing some of Kie's makeup and pretending like I'm rich, it's just actually having to be around all the Kooks for an entire night that I hate.

"Will you please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for one night?" Her mom asks.

"Mom, people not three miles from here have no power, and we're going to Midsummers. That's so tone-deaf." Kie rants, passing me to stand in front of her mom. "Zee literally has no running water at her place." She points to me while I tie on the seashell bracelet that she gave me to put on with my dress.

"We never had it that often anyways." I laugh, causing the two to turn to me with straight faces. I clear my throat awkwardly as I turn my head down to focus on my bracelet.

"Do you know how hard we had to work to get into the Island Club?" Mrs. Carrera breaks the awkward silence, looking back towards her daughter.

"Yeah, Mom. How could I forget? You had to grovel for, like, ten years..."

"Twelve, and we also had to cough up a huge chunk of dough, and do you know why we did that?" Her mom asks.

"To keep up with the Joneses?" Kie questions.

"No. So you could have the experiences that I had as a child. Honey, do you know what the Island Club is?" Mrs. Carrera steps towards her.

"A factory farm for debutantes." Kie replies.

"It is a nice place, with nice people, where you can do fun stuff." Her mom puts on a smile as she holds Kiara's face.

"With out-of-touch rich people, while the island sinks slowly into the ocean." Kie corrects, making me chuckle as I finish tying my bracelet.

"Okay, I want you to put on your party face, Kie, if you wanna live. Like Hazel, she looks ready to party." Kie's mom points to me as I look up towards the two. I give her a quick smile as she leaves the room.

"Yeah Kie, aren't you ready to party?" I sarcastically approach the girl, making her rolls her eyes.

"You would make a perfect Kook." She tells me.

"I know right?" I question playfully.

"I need you to help me get my hair like yours." I move to sit down at her desk, attempting to put my hair up in a bun. "I don't know how you get it to stay."