chapter XXIV

"You alright?" JJ asks me, in regards to my previously acquired injuries as I climb up on the edge of the hot tub to sit beside him

"Never better." I breathe out, looking towards Kie and Pope, who are trying to figure out the pulley system while JJ faces the other way, with his legs in the water.

"How about you?" I look towards him, meeting his eyes.

"Yeah, no, I'm good." He nods, taking another sip of his beer.

"How's it feeling?" I hear Pope ask Kie.

"Feels good." She replies from her seat on the contraption Pope made.

"John B pullin' a Houdini." JJ spins around to face the same way as me.

"Yeah, where is he? I got my scholarship interview tomorrow morning. We gotta get this done." Pope tells us.

"Speak of the devil." I smile, seeing John B approaching behind the big oak tree.

"Hey! Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything." JJ shouts to John B, making me let out a small laugh.

"No, he did not. I did that." Pope corrects. I watch John B walk past the hot tub, not responding to any of us.

"Jobn B?" I question while he continues moving, jogging up the stairs onto the porch.

"Okay, that's it?" JJ stares.

"Uh... what's that all about?" Pope asks, looking to JJ.

"I was gonna ask you the same question." He responds, hopping down from the hot tub. He turns to me, offering his hand to help me down as Pope and Kie enter the house.

"Thanks." I grab his hand to jump down from my seat before walking with him inside. I move through the door to see John B looking for something, digging through his own belongings.

"You all right, man? What... what's up?" Pope asks as John B moves to a bookshelf to look for whatever it is he needs.

"What are you looking for?" Kie speaks up. John B ignores us, going towards the living room.

"Are you okay, man?" I ask, concerned at John B's behavior.

"Bro, what's going on?" JJ questions while John B lifts the pull out mattress, picking up the gun that JJ hid.

"John B, what do you need the gun for, man?" JJ asks, approaching him

"Just... No!" Kie expresses her worry.

"Talk to us!" JJ shouts, grabbing a hold of John B and resulting in him being thrown onto the couch.

"John B, chill!" I shout, taking a few steps forward to stand in front of him. "Dude, just calm down for a-" John B shoves my hand down, pushing past me.

"What are you doing?" Kie asks.

"What, are you JJ now?" Pope questions, trying to block John B from leaving, but John B just grabs him before throwing him into the table.